Will AMD 2400+ work w/ Abit KR7A-133?

By tttony
May 7, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently upgraded my Abit KR7A-133 mobo with an Athlon XP 2400+. It doesn't seem to be working out too well though.

Problem 1: If it boots at all, it shows it to be running at 1500Mhz (100FSB x 15.0). When I manually change to the correct settings I get Problem 2.

Problem 2: Often it just does not boot up at all. No POST......nothing. For reference, I've never had a problem with my XP 1900+.

As far as I can tell, this should work. Same technology as my 1900+. I realize it won't automatically detect it, but I should be able to put in the settings manually (133 FSB x 15.0)and have it run no prob. Right? Maybe I've missed something.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  2. Supra

Supra TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 236

If setting it manually to 15 x 133 doesn't work then you may have wasted your money on getting the 2400+. According to ABIT your motherboard only supports up to a 2100+. Its good to make sure things are compatible before making PC purchases :grinthumb
  3. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Problem 1 isn't actually a problem. When i first installed my 2600+ and 2400+ to my two nforce 2 gigabyte boards, all the fsb were set to the lowest ie 100MHz. Most motherboards by default set newly installed procs to 100Mhz FSB. Now, problem 2 is really a problem. You might need to get a BIOS update, but again usually if there's already a BIOS update to get the support, they should have updated the motherboard page. It would be better if you call or email Abit customer service formore details.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 837

I know the Kr7a-R can't go past 2100, I think the -133 is the same (and that's with the last BIOS they made). The reason higher rated CPUs aren't supported is the max multiplier won't go any higher than 13, I think (it's been a few years since I played with that). You could set it at a lower multiplier and run a higher FSB and get an approximately stock speed out of the CPU, but you'd be OCing the Ram and AGP/PCI. (which is not a problem to me)

You will have to use user defined settings and find a mix of FSB and acceptable multiplier.
  5. Spliffmeister

Spliffmeister TechSpot Paladin Posts: 527

I've got the same board, and the max CPU I could get for it was a 2100+. I've got this clocked to a whopping 1.85 or there abouts...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.