Will AMD 2400+ work w/ Abit KR7A-133?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently upgraded my Abit KR7A-133 mobo with an Athlon XP 2400+. It doesn't seem to be working out too well though.

Problem 1: If it boots at all, it shows it to be running at 1500Mhz (100FSB x 15.0). When I manually change to the correct settings I get Problem 2.

Problem 2: Often it just does not boot up at all. No POST......nothing. For reference, I've never had a problem with my XP 1900+.

As far as I can tell, this should work. Same technology as my 1900+. I realize it won't automatically detect it, but I should be able to put in the settings manually (133 FSB x 15.0)and have it run no prob. Right? Maybe I've missed something.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

If setting it manually to 15 x 133 doesn't work then you may have wasted your money on getting the 2400+. According to ABIT your motherboard only supports up to a 2100+. Its good to make sure things are compatible before making PC purchases :grinthumb

Problem 1 isn't actually a problem. When i first installed my 2600+ and 2400+ to my two nforce 2 gigabyte boards, all the fsb were set to the lowest ie 100MHz. Most motherboards by default set newly installed procs to 100Mhz FSB. Now, problem 2 is really a problem. You might need to get a BIOS update, but again usually if there's already a BIOS update to get the support, they should have updated the motherboard page. It would be better if you call or email Abit customer service formore details.

I know the Kr7a-R can't go past 2100, I think the -133 is the same (and that's with the last BIOS they made). The reason higher rated CPUs aren't supported is the max multiplier won't go any higher than 13, I think (it's been a few years since I played with that). You could set it at a lower multiplier and run a higher FSB and get an approximately stock speed out of the CPU, but you'd be OCing the Ram and AGP/PCI. (which is not a problem to me)

You will have to use user defined settings and find a mix of FSB and acceptable multiplier.

I've got the same board, and the max CPU I could get for it was a 2100+. I've got this clocked to a whopping 1.85 or there abouts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back