Will AMD Come out with a better cpu over intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTechie316

I am looking to build a new pc with in the next 2 - 3 months. Since pc hardware change everyday, I wanted to know if amd will be coming out with a proccessor that will beat any of the Intel Core 2 Duos. I'm looking to buy the intel 6600, but want to make sure amd wont come out with new stuff right after I build my pc. Thanks for any info.

Define "better". You could put 4 dual-core Opterons in a box and make all Intel users cry in shame :p

No, as for desktops it doesn't look like AMD is going to have an Intel killer in the near future.

Well, those Opterons gave me an idea... Opteron 165s are beasts. They are 1.8 GHz stock Dual core and are dirt cheap, but they can overclock to past FX62. They go right up to 3.0GHz easily. So if you really want to go AMD, that's probably your best bet for price vs performance.

K8L is coming in the second half of the year. It's cores will be named after stars and cities. Now Core 2 is about 25% faster per clock than K8. I don't think the improvements that have been talked about for K8L are enough, and Intel's 45nm process will increase their clock speeds enough to stay ahead anyway.

In a few months the E6600 will drop to $224.
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=714230&starttime=0&endtime=0
pricecuts.jpg

I am pretty sure Intel plans to keep their lead over AMD now that they have worked so hard to create a masterpiece like the Core 2 Duo.

This is a "professional" opinion from the Holiday 2006 issue of Maximum PC
Now that Intel has finally wrenched the performance crown from AMD's head with Core 2 Extreme, it's not about to hand it back. The company plans to stay on top by releasing its quad-core CPU, code-named Kentsfield, before Christmas. Kentsfield borrows a trick from Intel's "Presler" Pentium D dual-core CPU. Unlike other dual-core procs that feature two cores on one die, Intel tied two single-core chips together inside the CPU to make the Presler. With Kentsfield, Intel will marry two single-die Core 2 Extreme CPUs together to give the world a quad-core chip more than half a year ahead of AMD.

just a matter of time. R&D costs a lot of money and time. Not to mention the marketing piece.

Cool, I'm interested in that 800MHz FSB Core 2 Duo E4400.

My motherboard supports up to 800MHz FSB, and it has an Intel 945P NorthBridge chipset. Does that mean that with a BIOS update, the E4400 should work on my mobo....?

My current Presler-core PentiumD has 4MB L2 cache though, where the E4400 has 2MB. Not sure if that C2D would be a good choice for me...

Intel is dominating as of right now, but AMD isn't going to sit by and watch as Intel takes the market... it's a never ending battle. AMD will eventually come out with something better, and then the cycle will continue! I don't tend to side with either company as i have built many systems and used both companies processors. But if its the best of the best you are looking for, at this time go with Intel.

By the time AMD comes out with a competitor for Core Duo 2, Intel will have the Quad out. With so many companies already adapting the Core Duo for their branded machines, AMD has their work cut out for them. If the economy falters, AMD will be in deep doo doo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back