Will an AMD athlon 64 3400+ work with a K8S-LA mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mg33

I've been trying to upgrade my processor for a while but I just haven't found a processor that is compatible with my computer. Today I found a AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz Processor and I think it will be compatible with my system. I have a compaq presario SR1520NX with a ASUS K85-LA (salmon) motherboard. The processor socket type that I have is 754 and my current processor is a AMD Sempron 1.8 GHz. The AMD athlon 64 3400+ says it has a 754 socket type as well. I don't really know much about processors so I'm assuming the socket type is what really matter in term of compatabilties right? And a couple of last questions, is the AMD athlon 64 3400+ better then my current AMD Sempron 1.8GHz processor? Will the AMD athlon 64 3400+ processor be compatible with my system? The processor will make my computer run faster and smoother as well correct? two last question, does the processor need any specific watts or something related to that and will I need a new fan? Thank you for your time.

mg33 said:
is the AMD athlon 64 3400+ better then my current AMD Sempron 1.8GHz processor?
In short, yes.

mg33 said:
Will the AMD athlon 64 3400+ processor be compatible with my system?
Your motherboard is socket 754, the Athlon 64 3400+ is socket 754 (you said) - so yes

mg33 said:
The processor will make my computer run faster and smoother as well correct?
Yes.

mg33 said:
does the processor need any specific watts or something related to that and will I need a new fan?
The same power supply and heatsink/fan should suffice as long as you don't plan to overclock.

Thanks for the info guys, (i really need to start learning more about processors) but what is overclock and what does this do?

Frostmonkey said:
The same power supply and heatsink/fan should suffice as long as you don't plan to overclock.

You have a Compaq computer, so you will not be able to overclock or push the processor and memory faster than its default speed. None of the branded computers (Compaq, HP, Gateway, Dell, IBM etc etc) allow you to overclock unless you over pay and specifically purchase a computer designed with overclocking features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back