TechSpot

will any mobo fit?

By OGGBoy
Apr 18, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I want to change the mobo on a PC that has a CHASNEXGEN-2 MAIN CHASSIS FRAME. would any mobo fit? Or am I limited to certain brands? thanks

Conrado
  2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

You're not limited to "brands", but you must use the same form factor. Atx and micro atx are the most common. If in doubt, a micro atx will fit in an atx case.
    Though replacing a motherboard may mean you have to buy a new copy of windows.
  3. RickM

RickM TS Rookie Posts: 85

Hi,
    I am pretty sure an ATX mobo will have a 20 pin power connector.
    The Micro AT will not. I would do a search on ATX & AT specifications.
    Your power supply may come into play too.

Good Luck.
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Take the measurements of your mobo, and compare that with what you want to buy.
    New(er) mobos quite often require a new CPU and different memory from what you have got. If you have integrated graphics, you will also need either (rock-bottom) integrated again or a new (low-class) PCI or (middle-class to very good) AGP or (top of the line) PCI-Express card.
    A more powerful power-supply may also be necessary.

From your description I gather you have a veritable piece of eMachine junk.
    You'll be better off buying a new barebones system, rather than waste your money trying to soup up a piece of crap.

For swapping a mobo, you do NOT need a new copy of Windows. You WILL have to re-install from scratch though, and in case of XP, you will almost certainly have to re-activate it (only one phone-call away).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.