Will Asus A8V Dlx. support 4 WD raptors as Raid 0+1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have an Asus A8V deluxe MB w/2 10k WD Raptor SATA HDDs in a RAID 0 setup. (Promise 378). Would like to add two more HDDs(same) and change to 0+1. My problem is both the manual and the on-disc documents are very vague. Also no response from Asus site. The manual leads me to believe that 0+1 can only be achieved using a comb. of SATA & reg. ATA drives. Again very vague leaving many questions. Wouldn't two pair of drives operating at diff. rpms cause some type of problem? There are 4 SATA connections on the MB but I don't want just a bigger RAID 0. Am tempted to just plug in the new drives and try it but don't want to make a costly mistake. Also wondering if when Asus says NEW drive would a newly formatted one (or Pair), mean the same? Have searched but found no clear answer, any info would be greatly appreciated.

According to the manual available at ASUS's web site, you have 2 controllers on that motherboard(Promise and VIA), each supporting 2 SATA drives in RAID 0 or 1. In order to set up a 4 drive RAID 0+1, you would need one controller supporting 4 SATA drives. As to the "new" drive question, I am sure they are referring to any drive attached to the system for the first time, so a newly formatted drive would work just fine.

Edit: You could sort of do what you are trying to do by creating a RAID 0 array on your second controller, then use WinXP to create a RAID 1. You can email or PM me for instructions on that.

Thanks. Had to look dumbly at your reply til I checked back after your edit. I'm entirely self-taught and do that a lot. But I think you've nailed what I was essentially looking for a second opinion on.Thanks again, and I will probably soon venture again into the area of "let's see if this works,"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back