will ddr ram co-exist with 8600gt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ani123

hallo friends,my pc has two 512mb ddr ram,i.e total 1024mb,if i upgrade my pc to nvida geforce 8600gt which uses ddr3 memory,will i have to change my rams also?will i have to buy two new ddr3?will ddr2 also serve the purpose?what if i want to use those two old ddr rams?

The memory on the video card has nothing to do with the memory on the motherboard. In other words, yes you can use DDR ram or even DDR-II ram with that 8600GT without any problems.

ani123 said:
hallo friends,my pc has two 512mb ddr ram,i.e total 1024mb,if i upgrade my pc to nvida geforce 8600gt which uses ddr3 memory,will i have to change my rams also?will i have to buy two new ddr3?will ddr2 also serve the purpose?what if i want to use those two old ddr rams?
Yes. I run a 8600GT with DDR3 and my system's ram is DDR2.

Didou said:
The memory on the video card has nothing to do with the memory on the motherboard. In other words, yes you can use DDR ram or even DDR-II ram with that 8600GT without any problems.

read what he said. the ram on the computer and the ram on the video have nothing to do with each other.

nickc said:
read what he said. the ram on the computer and the ram on the video have nothing to do with each other.
Thanks for catching that. I meant no it wouldn't be a conflict.

Besides, video RAM is GDDR3/GDDR4, not DDR3/DDR4. Totally different technologies despite the similar names.

MetalX said:
Besides, video RAM is GDDR3/GDDR4, not DDR3/DDR4. Totally different technologies despite the similar names.
Thank you for the correction, I did know that. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back