Will GeForce 6600 8x AGP work with ASUS P4B-LA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico4missions

Hello,

I'm new to TechSpot! I recently purchased a PNY GeForce 6600 8x AGP 256MB DDR in hopes that it was compatible with my Pavilion 7955. The 7955's motherboard is a ASUS P4B-LA

See motherboard specs here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...lang=en&product=62740&dlc=en&docname=bph07293

I noticed the board is 4x AGP, I've read several different places that 8x cards are compatible with 4x boards...Depending on voltage etc... Is this card compatible with my board? I've also heard 8x cards are compatible but will only run at 4x speeds. Please help clarify. Thanks

BTW I've upgraded my powersupply to support the card

agp 8x cards are backwards compatible with 4x sockets. i'm just curioius, what make, model and wattage is the new power supply?

i reccomend checking the dimensions of the new card with your case, as sometimes replacement cards for oems are blocked by fan ducts, cables, heatsinks or something else.

how many case fans are installed, what type, and where? a 6600 is going to throw out a fair bit of heat under load, which can cause problems if there is insufficient airflow in your case.

These are the specs on the Power Supply
Ultra V-Series 350-Watt ATX Power Supply

AC INPUT 115V/230V - 60/50Hz
DC OUTPUT +3.3V +5V +12V +12V -12V -5V +5VSB
350W Max/Combined Watts 18A 25A 18A - 0.6A 0.6A 2A
350W

Connectors:

1x 20/24-Pin Motherboard
1x 4-Pin +12V Motherboard
8x 4-Pin Molex
2x 4-Pin Floppy Power
1x PCI Express
2x SATA

Features :

Supports AMD and Intel Motherboards
Low Acoustic Noise
Meets ATX Version 2.03 and ATX 12V Version 1.2 Specifications
Short Circuit Protection
In-Rush Current Protection
Thermal Overload Cutoff Protection MTBF > 100,000 Hours at Full Load, 110VAC and 25°C Ambient Condition
FCC and UL Recognized

Upon further research (and opening my tower again) I noticed...
+ 1 Fan (120mm?) located at the rear which has a duct to the CPU Fan
+ 1 CPU Fan (Coolmaster)
+ 1 Fan in Powersupply (exhaust I assume)

...So 2 fans if you don't include the power supply exhaust

*Oh and the 6600 seemed to fit ok, I took it out of the package and placed it (didn't install it) next to the AGP slot. When I install 6600, which of the connectors from the Power Supply do I connect it too? One of the 4-pin Molex's? Thanks for your help Zephead!

ahh, i wouldn't expect that power supply to adequately power a 6600 gpu. when i got my 6600gt it overloaded my raidmax 420 watt supply.

i reccomend a name brand supply rated for 500 watts. i personally use the antec smartpower 2.0 500W - a great psu with modular cabling. it isn't audible and costs about $70 (USD)

A possible solution is a new motherboard (that supports AGP 8x) and a new PSU. It does seem that your Case wil take an ATX motherboard. Check your PSU whether you'll be able to remove it and fit in a new PSU.

Can you post your complete system specs?

chico4missions said:
*Oh and the 6600 seemed to fit ok, I took it out of the package and placed it (didn't install it) next to the AGP slot. When I install 6600, which of the connectors from the Power Supply do I connect it too? One of the 4-pin Molex's? Thanks for your help Zephead!

Yes connect that Molex. Give it a try see how it goes. BTW I also have a 6600 AGP 8x.

Not too long ago I added an extra gig of ram, a new 300GB Hard Drive and a DVDRW and the card and it runs with my generic 350W PSU!!!

And guess what I can run Battlefield 2 on max settings

However a good PSU is important and dont skimp on it.

Glad to hear it worked for you IBN! yeah the system requirements on the 6600 say 350W(actually 300W), so thats what I bought. Plus the rest of my system isn't a "super computer": 80+GB Hard drive, 512 mem, DVD-rom & CD-RW drives. I've heard its plenty with 350W plus a 6600.

Anywho thanks for the help guys!

Know that if your computer suddenly turns off, you need a new PSU. If and when that happens and you decide to get a new PSU. Post a new thread. Let us know what you want to go for and we'll have a look at it.

what usually happens in a case like this is the user will put the 6600 gpu in and everything will appear to run fine. but what is not so obvious is that the power supply is being strained too much. in a span of time as short as a few days or a week the power levels in your system will begin to fluctuate, resulting in random crashes and graphical errors that are hard problems to track down. often times, the supply will fail completely.

remember that even the high quality PSUs are designed to run between 50 and 85% of thier max load, and running yours to the limit will shorten its life span. most people are able to get away with a cheap supply for awhile, but sooner or later it's going to give you trouble.

Works Great!

Just wanted everyone to know that the card works great!! Can play all of my games including Call of Duty on max everything and they all run incredibley smooth! The power supply seems to be doing fine and the temp in my computer is perfect! No overheats, no gliches, no lag time during gameplay!

So...yup a 6600 agp 8x works great on 4x board with 350W ps

Glad to hear its working. At some point I think you should consider a new PSU. You mind posting your complete system specis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back