Will I have the 137 gig problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on useing an Asus P5Q-E motherboard with a Seagate 500 gig. sata drive.
Will the Asus board reconize more than 137 gig? I'm going to be installing Windows XP. I know with my old system I had to install service pack 1 and then Partion Magic to get the extra bytes out of a 320 gig. Seagate. I'm hoping with all this newer stuff I will not need to format. one article stated that newer chip sets us this 48-bit logical block addressing. Asus P5Q-E's Intel chipset P45 dosen't state anything about this.

The answer is "How are you installing XP" as
=> the 137gig limit only applied to XP SP1.
=> The problem gets fixed when you update from sp1 to SP2.
=> And it's basically a non-problem for at the time you're upgrading SP2 -> SP3
nd SP3 focuses on other problems becauser

So the question is:
Where are you getting your XP install CDs from?
And where along the XP life cycle are you first joining?
If you're still joining at SP1 you may still have some extra work for the issue.
But if joining at SP2 or SP3 the issue is long gone.

I've never run into the 137 GB limit installing XP, as long as I use a service pack 2 disc or later. Just make sure your disc is service pack 2, and you'll be fine.

So the question is:

I have an original copy that does not have any service packs installed on it. So even after installing SP1 it will still only show 137 gig.

I thing I might have to go to Seagates website and "study" this proplem. I think they may have a work around.

I did read an article arock motherboards have this support for 48-bit logical block addressing in their chipsets. It looks like no one else followed suit.

So the question is:

I have an original copy that does not have any service packs installed on it. So even after installing SP1 it will still only show 137 gig.

I thing I might have to go to Seagates website and "study" this proplem. I think they may have a work around.

I did read an article arock motherboards have this support for 48-bit logical block addressing in their chipsets. It looks like no one else followed suit.

It's the OS that hasn't got the support - the mobo's do. Just slipstream a SP2 or SP3 XP disk.

It's the OS that hasn't got the support - the mobo's do. Just slipstream a SP2 or SP3 XP disk.

Yes, but after installing XP i'll keep SP1 ready on CD I wonder if the the whole 500 gig. will just show up.

I just reading about that. I'm not sure if I'll go though with it.
theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

It should, but you'll have to install XP (no SP or SP1) on what you see (131 or so Gb) drive then you have to play with re-partitioning.

Slipstreaming is the answer. That way you have a ready-made repair/reinstall disk also.

edit: I like this Guide;

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd.htm

CCT is right. Slipstreaming a new CD is the answer to making your life much simpler whenever you do an install. Now, of course, is your computer and you do as you prefer but a couple points:
1. I noticed your last post linked to article on slipstreaming SP2.
2. CCT linked to slipstreaming SP3

and fyi... Microsoft made the slipstreaming process much simpler for SP3 then it was when one had to do SP2. So not sure why you prefer not to slipstream or what you read in the SP2 article but the steps in that SP2 article DO NOT APPLY to SP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back