Will Microsoft Release Anymore .ISOs for fresh installs or are they done?

TheBigFatClown

From my research it appears that build 10240 was the RTM .ISO for Windows 10.

I want to install Windows 10 fresh at some point in the near future. Does Microsoft plan on releasing any more .ISOs that can be installed with all cumulative updates?

I just want to make sure that I don't have to download any more unnecessary files if I can help it.

Is 10240 the baseline still for fresh installs? Thanks for reading.

That's a good question.

What version does Windows Media Builder produce, does it still build version 10240? I'll let you know if the downloads are the same. I'm downloading a new Win10Pro ISO now.

That's a good question.

What version does Windows Media Builder produce, does it still build version 10240? I'll let you know if the downloads are the same. I'm downloading a new Win10Pro ISO now.

In my quest for the answer to this question I came across what appears to be a Microsoft authorized website called "TechBench" that actually let me select a few options and then download an .ISO but without any outward indications of what version I am actually getting. It's called "Win10SingleLangEnglishx64.iso" or some garbage to that effect.

With my slow connection, looks like it will take most of the day to download anyway. I think my rate is about 300/400Kbit at the moment. That's about 1% every 15 minutes. Arrrgg!!

Edit: I just did a speed test and my connection spiked, so it is MS servers that is slow for me.

I just realized something. I installed Windows 10 fresh from the first technical preview(still on my hard drive dated 10/1/2014). And let it update each new build through Windows 10 update(big big mistake if your keeping track of time and space).

Anyhoo, installing build 10240 fresh would be okay right now for me I guess. Its not my download speeds I worry about. It's all the gurgling for what seems like an eternity that my hard disk goes through when installing updates versus an .ISO with all the patches integrated. SSD would help but I still wonder if Microsoft needs to look at optimizing their update methods somehow. It just seems horridly slow sometimes.

In 5 years, installing from build 10240 and then having to wait for all the accumulated updates to go in post-install....that's just gonna be a big waste of time and highly annoying.

*sigh*, Okay, this seems like a job for the Windows feedback application.

I don't know what happened. The tool closed out over night and I don't see the ISO where I told the tool to save to. I don't think I will start the tool back up. Microsoft needs to fix their servers. I should have been able to download the file in 2 or 3 hours on my slow Internet, not wait all day wondering when it will finish.

Back