Will my CPU bottlneck a 8800GTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerpower

I currently have an eVGA 8800GTS 640 and i want to step up to a GTX, my only concern is that my CPU (AMD FX-62) may bottleneck it, can anyone confirm or refute this?

You have an eVGA 8800GTS 640 and you are upgrading to an 8800GTX? If you can run the GTS well you shouldnt have too much of a problem. I dont think there is much of a difference between the two cards except memory.

Your CPU shouldn't bottleneck video card. You should have a great time running that video card.

Also the other than the memory the GTX has more stream processors.

Well, thats good to know, reason i ask is cause i told my friend i'm upgrading to a GTX and he said its not worth it cause my CPU will bottleneck it. He has a C2D E6600 and has no problem running one, so i guess he is wrong about this. Anyone here has experience running a GTX on an equivalent AMD CPU?

Its not worth it mainly because the GTX isnt hugely faster than the GTS. What the GTX has over the GTX is 128 Stream Proc to 96 for the GTS, a little more memory(768MB) and like 25% higher clock speeds. I wouldn't consider it worth the upgrade because you already have a 640MB GTS. Just buy another GTS and do SLI if you want your system to have more nuts.

Just my 2 cents

Your money would be better invested in getting a new mobo and getting a Core 2. That would yield more of a performance enhancement than going from a GTS to GTX.

Getting a new mobo and CPU is really out of the question at this poing. First off i just assembled this system about 2 months ago and don't want to rebuild it now. My next major upgrade will be getting the new Phenom CPU provided Gigabyte will make a BIOS update for my board to support it. This upgrade is not going to cost me as much as buying a new card because i'd like to use the eVGA step up program and only will pay the price difference between 2 cards. Getting another GTS will cost me more and i was told that performance gains with SLI will be about 30% more than my current setup. Anyway, i gotta think about this a bit, thanks to all who made suggestions.

In that case i'll get a new board, which will be good as well. The Phenom will wirk with current Am2 boards but it will work better with AM2+ mobos. But all this about a year away, thats when i'm planning to do my CPU upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back