Will my motherboard run this ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an asus motherboard that states "memory standard- DDR2 800", and I just got 2 GB of Corsair "DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)". Will this memory work with my computer? Please say yes.. and thanks for looking at my question.

Hello and welcome to TechSpot. :wave:

Yes, DDR2 675 will run on your computer. The highest RAM the motherboard supports natively is DDR2 800; anything faster than that might void the warranty or something. Any DDR2 RAM slower than that, with maybe the exception of DDR2 400, should run well.

Regards :)

Thank you very much kitty500cat... I was really really freaking out about my new 140 dollars worth of ram not working on my new computer. Thanks again!

Ross

Too Much Information Coming, Sorry

Melei said:
I have an asus motherboard that states "memory standard- DDR2 800", and I just got 2 GB of Corsair "DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)". Will this memory work with my computer? Please say yes.. and thanks for looking at my question.
The system clock and multiplier determine the actual frequency that the RAM runs at. To a reasonable degree the system will DOWNCLOCK the RAM to it's frequency. Likewise, the BIOS should detect the memory module's native speed and adjust accordingly. In other words I have DDR2 667Mhz but, my processors bus frequency is 533Mhz. When you read the system specs the RAM is running at 533Mhz. Your "DDR2 800Mhz Standard" is merely the fastest number that the system can run at. With some of the newer boards (particularly the Intel P/&G 965 chipsets) the more important specifications are the memory module voltage and timings. In the case of the Intel boards, there are some issues with compatibility with DDR2 800 Modules, and the boards are more stable with the slower DDR-667.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back