TechSpot

Will my pc work for WoW, if not what should I get on a budget?

By twild
Aug 8, 2006
  1. Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums and this is my first topic.

I am not much of a techie, or even one at all. My knowledge of hardware is limited to what I have gathered in the last hour browsing google. I want to play wow and have a cap of around 300 usd to spend on gear and am wondering what I need to do.

Please help me figure out what the most needed equipement is and what the best performace to cost ratio available is.

My situations is:

Comcast broadband cable:4 mbps approx.
    One ddr 128 mb ram nodule, one open slot.
    Intel [r] 82845(g) graphics controller chip (Built into motherboard, 32mb)
    Celeron cpu 2.2 ghz
    Ummm something like 10 gigs of free disk space

If I need a better graphics card I will have to buy a new motherboard, and I do not know if windows will accept the hardware changes or consider it an attempt to log multiple copies of the license. I think the celeron is also attached to the motherboard but I am unsure.

300 dollars is an absolute cap and I am a little loathe to spend that much as it is a whoole lot to me, I am 16 and without a job so if I make money the old fashioned way. Mowing lawns.

Please share your wisdom everyone. Thanks.

Edit:I skimmed google some more, I am considering buying two dell 512 ram nodules for about 100$, a pentium four for around 50-90$ and the suggested graphics card by blizard (5700 something, I copied and pasted) for something like 70$. These are new, is used a viable option?

Should I just buy an entirely new used computer? How does getting a new motherboard work in with the graphics card and processor and how much do such things cost?

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

A little more information is needed. Does your current motherboard have an AGP graphics card slot? What is your PC make and model?

3. twild

twild TS Rookie Topic Starter

Lets see, its a dell dimension 2400 series.

I do not know if the motherboard has an agp graphics card slot, but the graphics controller is integrated which leads me to believe no.

Is there an easy way to tell just looking at it?

4. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

If im not mistaken i believe the 2400 only has PCI slots. This means that you should get a Nvidia Geforce 6200 PCI graphics card (google it if you dont know what this is) and you NEED at least 768 mb of RAM to play WoW. Your hard drive space is OK and so is the processor but focus on getting one of those video cards and more RAM.

5. twild

twild TS Rookie Topic Starter

Alright, I scrounged around my junk parts bin and dug out two 256 mb ddr modules so my 128 mb of ram is now 512 mb. Sadly I downgraded from pc 2700 to pc 2100 so my bussing speed is only 266 mhz now.

Is it worth it to buy two 512 modules or should I just get one, and where should I buy them?

Your right, it is a pci slot. The card is built into the motherboard but their are outside slots for upgrades. I'll look into finding the nvidia 6200. Would that card be a bare minimum for functionablility or would it work quite well?

Is it at all possible to upgrade the celeron on dimension 2400s, or is the sucker built to be the only processor compatability with the motherboard.

Edit:I found a matrox millenium 1 in my scrap bin and I think I have a two or three lying around somewhere. Would these be better than the one I currently am using? It looks like the geforce 6200 is going to cost about 100 dollars which is a bit of a pain, I would only like to buy one if I know it is going to absolutly scorching.

6. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 TS Rookie Posts: 398

Go flip hamburgers at McDonalds

...AMD

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.