TechSpot

Will the 9 series cards make the 8 series cards cheaper?

By bobthepersonman
Jan 24, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will the 9 series make the $220 8800gts drop to something like $100 or will it still be $200?
  2. alisbin

alisbin TS Rookie Posts: 120

eventually, and then the 10 series will do the same to the 9 series, rinse and repeat. basically as long as its one of the fastest cards the gts will be expensive, when it becomes obsolete (relatively) its price will drop.

from the question i assume you are looking to upgrade, if you want to only spend $100 then i'd say your best bet is an OCed 7600 GT, lotsa bang for your buck, i can run FEAR with pretty high settings with just one of them.
    but really, what are you looking for?
  3. bobthepersonman

bobthepersonman TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

Well I have a month or two until I have all the money but I am going to build a gaming computer for the first time so I was wondering if I could get an 8800 for the same price as an 8600 by that time. but as far as what I want I would like it to be able to run dx10 or else I would go with the 7600gt. But seeing as how I have to wait for the money I was just wondering about what my options would by that time. Oh and I have been thinking about this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229 or some other 8600 but I should probably wait until I have the money to choose. Or should I just keep looking at everything?
  4. aznn3rd

aznn3rd TS Rookie Posts: 139

If you are going to wait a month, I recommend you wait for the 9600GT. It seems like this is the new mid-range card of Nvidia and hopefully will not disappoint as the 8600GT had.
  5. bobthepersonman

Well how much will it probably cost?
  6. aznn3rd

I think it will be in the $150 - $180 price range
  7. bobthepersonman

If so than i will just stick with the 8 series or i might have to rethink all of the things i chose i guess i will just have to wait.
  8. alisbin

what games are you looking to play mate?
  9. aznn3rd

at the moment, the XFX 8600GT would be the best deal. You get $17 off, free shipping, and $30 rebate. What's more, you get Company of Heroes for free.
  10. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 875

11. aznn3rd

How did the 8800GT drop $50 in a few days?

12. alisbin

supplies are starting to rebound from the holiday order rush. i shoulda grabbed one when they were around 200-220 for an OC version when they first came out...
  13. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 875

$20-$30 drop
    reference clock (non-overclocked)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.