Will the Sims 2 work with an Integrated SIS Mirage2 Graphics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
howdy. sorry for the long title, but this is my first post and i wanted it to show up in searches. =)

i'm addicted to the sims. however, i have an old p.o.s. computer. i'm going to purchase a new one before the end of august but the one i really want has an Integrated SIS Mirage2 Graphics with 128 MB Shared Video Memory.

now, on the sims 2 web site, it mentions the following graphics cards as supported:

- ATI RadeonTM series (7000 or better)
- Nvidia® QuadroTM series
- Nvidia® Geforce series (GeForce2 and better)
- Intel® Extreme Graphics (non-T&L; requires 2.0 GHz processor)

so, will the mirage2 be supported? it's not the same name brand, but does it show up as being like the nvidia, etc? (does it mimic the others?)

i'd hate to buy a new pc and then have to buy and install a new video card, too. that would be a pain.

thanks,
tonya

ps- the machine i'm probably going to buy is from Office Max. it's the compaq presario sr1538X-B desktop pc bundle. it's about $800.

the SIS Mirage2 Graphics Card is a lackluster card that will not run your game (well).
ps- the machine i'm probably going to buy is from Office Max. it's the compaq presario sr1538X-B desktop pc bundle. it's about $800.
not only is this computer oem, but it is a low performance machine. i strongly advise you to get a custom job available at a pc repair/sales shop near you, if there are any. if you want to know what to ask for, say so in your reply. even dells are better than compaq...

Here's my suggestion

zephead said:
i strongly advise you to get a custom job available at a pc repair/sales shop near you, if there are any.

I agree too. For $800US, get one custom built. Computer parts are now so cheap that you can get a pretty powerful one for that price. And at least then you'll know what's going into your new computer, while buying oen from store, they only provide you high level detail. I would suggest a P4 3.0, 1GB DDR2 RAM, a 256M Radeon 9800/X800 or GeForce video card (I personally like Radeon better :giddy: ), a DVD-ROM, a 16x Dual-layer DVD burner, and everything else that accomidate with the above, ie. a compatible motherboard, power supply, etc. If you want better video experience, get more info on a PCI Express video card. It's even faster than a AGP 8x. The above config. should fall close to your price range depending where you get it built.

ChieseTechie :dead: :knock:

zephead said:
even dells are better than compaq...

Actually we have had much better sucess with the compaqs at our school then with our dells. (maybe they just got built on a good day or something)

But as said, get a PC built by a shop. Not only are you not just feeding into your local area, your going to have someone that you can bring it back to when it need repairs, intead of a phone number.

Sean

Like the others have stated above, it would run your game...just not well. Integrated graphics cards almost always function more poorly than a non-integrated equivilant, eg.. 128MB integrated card is blown out of the water, by say...a Nvidia 128MB card that you have to install in the AGP slot yourself. I also recommend building a computer if you can, because it is SO much cheaper than buying a package, from Dell, etc, etc. Also I find that if you pick a relatively small computer store to put a custom comp together, they actually remember you, and it helps when it comes time to get service or even more parts...I almost never pay for service on mine, but maybe I just got lucky and the dude that works there is overly nice:D

Compaq???

I have to agree with everyone else, if you are going to get a new system, go to a local shop and get them to custom build one. Ask anyone for some specifications on mobo's, sound, video, hdd, memory. You would be better off spending the money on something that won't give you grief.

Thanks! Any more ideas?

thanks, everyone, for the helpful responses! i've actually been pondering this computer situation for a while now. my pc at home is a ca. 1998 Gateway, with a pentium ii 450 mhz. it's ok, but very old now.

there are a few places in my area that build custom pcs. is it worth taking in the old gateway? could they reuse the case? i replaced the cd drive last summer, so that's fairly new. also, the 3.5 floppy still works ok. the sound board died a long time ago. but the hard drive's ok for a back-up -- just 10 gigs but that was honkin' big in 98. also, the ethernet port and the other inputs still work ok.

so what do y'all think? should i take in the gateway and frankenstein it with some other, newer parts? and what specifically should i get?

thanks a million-gazillion-fafillion! :rolleyes:

tonya

tkp42 said:
thanks, everyone, for the helpful responses! i've actually been pondering this computer situation for a while now. my pc at home is a ca. 1998 Gateway, with a pentium ii 450 mhz. it's ok, but very old now.

there are a few places in my area that build custom pcs. is it worth taking in the old gateway? could they reuse the case? i replaced the cd drive last summer, so that's fairly new. also, the 3.5 floppy still works ok. the sound board died a long time ago. but the hard drive's ok for a back-up -- just 10 gigs but that was honkin' big in 98. also, the ethernet port and the other inputs still work ok.

so what do y'all think? should i take in the gateway and frankenstein it with some other, newer parts? and what specifically should i get?

thanks a million-gazillion-fafillion! :rolleyes:

tonya
Since you're a teacher, having the same profession as my daughters. I suggest to you the same as I'd suggested to my daughters - Don't buy pre-builts by someone else, do it for yourself... You'll be a better teacher for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back