TechSpot

will this install WIN. XP HOME??

By i_need_answers
Jul 25, 2005
  1. Hey,
    I recently bought on Ebay a "Dell Windows XP Home installation disk." It was suposed to be for Dell but I've heard that It should work for other systems aswell. I was under the impression that this would install the operating system but what I recieved was the "re-installation disk" it says on the label the OS should already be installed. What I need to know is will the "re-installation disk" install Windows on my non-dell. Also does the COA and product key have to match the installation disk because I have a legal COA and Product key for XP home that I own but doesn't work anymore.
    Should I open the disk package?
    Thanks Alot for all your help.
    Jonathan

2. just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody TS Rookie Posts: 205

I think that disk should work fine, as long as you use your original key. Did you receive a XP disk with your computer? If you didn't get an XP disk with your computer, then you may have a recovery partition on your hard drive.

To access the recovery partition, hold down the F10 key as you start your computer. You would want to select a Non_Destructive restore for your computer, so you keep the programs and data you have on your computer.

3. i_need_answers

i_need_answers TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 144

Hey,
    Just a long story short. My original Windows Xp home edition won't work because I put in a new Motherboard. So I am buying another 1 because I dont want to go and pay to have my new motherboard "tatooed" by HP. So you think If I use the DELL reinstallation disk I can perform a clean install with my old product key and COA?
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

4. just_a_nobody

Oh ok, now I see. Maybe the new disk won't work, but I would try it, and if it doesn't, I am sure you could sell it again on eBay. Have you talked to HP about changing your motherboard? I hate this tatoo idea, sounds like a Bill Gates type of scheme, to make more money.

5. just_a_nobody

The thing I worry about now, since you mentioned the tatoo, maybe the Dell disk will do the same thing?

6. i_need_answers

hopefully it's not proprietary.
    Anyone know for sure before I open it?

7. just_a_nobody

From what I read, on Google, the tatoo is mainly for HPs, just my luck, since I have an HP. :knock:

8. i_need_answers

OK,
    Thanks LOL yeah I have an HP also so thats great. But DELL is VERY tricky woth upgrading and usually their parts tend to work only with dell. If it was a "full install cd" I would go for it but it says on the package "Software is already on your computer only use this cd to reinstall this os on a DELL computer." So im alittle anxious about opening it because if I do the Ebay seller might not refund me my money.
    Jonathan

9. just_a_nobody

About how much did it cost you?

10. urbandragon

urbandragon TS Rookie Posts: 336

Here is the kicker... why it may not work...

Your COA (product key) is for an HP OEM computer. The O/S you are installing is a DELL full version or possibly OEM software package. So i would say you are going to get as far as enter your product key and get hosed.

But..... Some computer manufacturers "re-installation" disks are simply put a ghost image that they slap on the hdd, this takes about 10 min versus the typical 40-60 min install. Some of the "Ghosted" versions you will not need a cd key because it is part of the ghosted image, i think.... but the problem there is if that is the case it would still not work on your HP because 100 to 1 your hp computer has different hardware thus would BSOD on boot..

Good luck to you on getting this one.. Post back if it does work i would like to know.

11. i_need_answers

:),
    Im so happy. I must have hit the 1 out of 100 cause it worked and im posting this on Windows XP right now. I installed without a hitch. They made me call MS for activation but all i did was tell the guy at MS my Compaqs Product key # and he gave me a activation # and now all is set.
    Thanks 4 all your help,
    Jonathan

12. urbandragon

urbandragon TS Rookie Posts: 336

Glad to hear it worked for ya...

13. etherga

etherga TS Rookie Posts: 69

When i replaced the mobo/cpu/everythign else on my gateway box, i was able to use my gateway OS cd's to do a clean install too. Just gotta make sure you set it up right! Only thing "gateway" about my rig now is the harddrive, and thats gonna change soon :p

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.