will this install WIN. XP HOME??

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_need_answers

Hey,
I recently bought on Ebay a "Dell Windows XP Home installation disk." It was suposed to be for Dell but I've heard that It should work for other systems aswell. I was under the impression that this would install the operating system but what I recieved was the "re-installation disk" it says on the label the OS should already be installed. What I need to know is will the "re-installation disk" install Windows on my non-dell. Also does the COA and product key have to match the installation disk because I have a legal COA and Product key for XP home that I own but doesn't work anymore.
Should I open the disk package?
Thanks Alot for all your help.
Jonathan

I think that disk should work fine, as long as you use your original key. Did you receive a XP disk with your computer? If you didn't get an XP disk with your computer, then you may have a recovery partition on your hard drive.

To access the recovery partition, hold down the F10 key as you start your computer. You would want to select a Non_Destructive restore for your computer, so you keep the programs and data you have on your computer.

Hey,
Just a long story short. My original Windows Xp home edition won't work because I put in a new Motherboard. So I am buying another 1 because I dont want to go and pay to have my new motherboard "tatooed" by HP. So you think If I use the DELL reinstallation disk I can perform a clean install with my old product key and COA?
Thanks,
Jonathan

Oh ok, now I see. Maybe the new disk won't work, but I would try it, and if it doesn't, I am sure you could sell it again on eBay. Have you talked to HP about changing your motherboard? I hate this tatoo idea, sounds like a Bill Gates type of scheme, to make more money.

i_need_answers said:
hopefully it's not proprietary.
Anyone know for sure before I open it?

From what I read, on Google, the tatoo is mainly for HPs, just my luck, since I have an HP. :knock:

OK,
Thanks LOL yeah I have an HP also so thats great. But DELL is VERY tricky woth upgrading and usually their parts tend to work only with dell. If it was a "full install cd" I would go for it but it says on the package "Software is already on your computer only use this cd to reinstall this os on a DELL computer." So im alittle anxious about opening it because if I do the Ebay seller might not refund me my money.
Jonathan

Here is the kicker... why it may not work...

Your COA (product key) is for an HP OEM computer. The O/S you are installing is a DELL full version or possibly OEM software package. So i would say you are going to get as far as enter your product key and get hosed.

But..... Some computer manufacturers "re-installation" disks are simply put a ghost image that they slap on the hdd, this takes about 10 min versus the typical 40-60 min install. Some of the "Ghosted" versions you will not need a cd key because it is part of the ghosted image, i think.... but the problem there is if that is the case it would still not work on your HP because 100 to 1 your hp computer has different hardware thus would BSOD on boot..

Good luck to you on getting this one.. Post back if it does work i would like to know.

:),
Im so happy. I must have hit the 1 out of 100 cause it worked and im posting this on Windows XP right now. I installed without a hitch. They made me call MS for activation but all i did was tell the guy at MS my Compaqs Product key # and he gave me a activation # and now all is set.
Thanks 4 all your help,
Jonathan

When i replaced the mobo/cpu/everythign else on my gateway box, i was able to use my gateway OS cd's to do a clean install too. Just gotta make sure you set it up right! Only thing "gateway" about my rig now is the harddrive, and thats gonna change soon :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back