Will this laptop run XP Corporate edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halo71

I have a laptop running Win2000. It is a P3 (995 megahertz processor) with, I think 256 megs memory. Will it run XP Corporate edition?

There's no such thing as XP Corporate any more. It's simply XP Pro, but corporations have Volume License Keys which they use with it.

Yes, you're laptop is capable of running XP Pro, but it may not be the fastest thing in the world, depending on the settings you use, and what you want to do with it.

This does of course depend on how large its hard drive is, and how much data you'll want to store on it.

The hard drive is 40gb. I will do nothing more than surf the internet with it. What settings should be enabled/disabled to make it run better?

edit:This is a work laptop. The biggest thing it will be used for is email, installing/downloading Shockswitch data from machinery and flashing RFT's.

It may take a little bit longer to boot up and a little bit of time to load programs but it should run ok. You are just using the bare minimum of what you should to run XP. Even with the older laptop you may see if you work in willing to see if they can upgrade the memroy to at least 512MB. It will run a lot better then.

not worth the effort
you can always try a xp lite version
thats is make your own with the drivers and crap stripped out
I would stick with the W2K you have don't load the spk4 on it just keep the security patchs updates
so use windows 2000 spk 3 with patchs

Is there any way to load the bare bones with XP? Is that what you mean about XP Lite? And if I try XP on it and it doesn't work. Can I restore back to 2000? We do not have the 2000 disc as work. At least I've never seen them.

I appreciate all the input, but I have had our IT folks say that it would run XP and some say it won't. And now some on here say it will and some say it won't.

I have a buddy that is running a desktop computer with only 1GB Celeron and 256MB or Ram. As I said before might take a littl bit to boot into windows and to load certain programs but it still runs XP with out any problems, but would be even better if you could get a total of 512MB of Ram in there.

I would have to disagree with that entirely Tedster.

XP will run perfectly well on a system with 128 MB of RAM when you turn off all the pretty bits, and will even be ok on a 256MB system with the pretty bits turned on. It may be a little slower than 98 sometimes in respect of the amount of memory vs performance, but many of it's benefits and features over win 98 are very much worth it.

Besides, when it first came out, many people were running it with less than 512 MB of RAM with no problems.

It all depends on what you want from it. Extra RAM is only useful up and to a point depending on the processor speed, beyond which it's all about how much multitasking you want to do and what applications you want to use it for.

oh yes.... it will run...... EXTREMELY SLOW..... what's the point of running it in a crippled state? You defeat the purpose.

I wouldn't consider running it at 256MB running it at a crippled state but at the same time I also agree with Tedster that you XP will run a lot better and you will be happier with 512MB. Then the system simiply doesn't have to rely on the virtual memory as much. Which can be even harder on an older system that may have a HDD that doesn't have that high of RPM's.

oh yes.... it will run...... EXTREMELY SLOW..... what's the point of running it in a crippled state?

That's not true. I've run XP with no problems at all, at a perfectly acceptable speed on a 256 MB system. Heck, with all the pretty bits turned off, I've had it running ok on a 333Mhz processor with only 128 Mb of RAM. Of course 512Mb of RAM is better, but less doesn't render XP pointless, or slow to the extreme.

Apart from the fact that it depends on what you want to do with it, slow is not the same as crippled anyway. The seperate password protected accounts and NTFS are huge advantages over something such as 98 anyway, and a MAJOR plus is that XP is what's currently available.

Avantages over win2k? I have no idea, but I think it might be fair to assume that there is one, else why would the original poster have been thinking about it in the first place? Perhaps it's a simple matter of availablity.

sorry. I disagree. "With all the bits turned off" means it's crippled. So again, I say, what's the point. Also with less than 512MB, your page file will constantly run, slowing your system and draining your battery on a laptop from HD use.

Tedster, as I've already said, I've had it running quite succefuly on a 256MB system (even with pretty bits turned on). Having transitional effects and pretty colours on your desktop is not the be all and end all of XP. Personally I also feel that XP being the only thing available would also make a very good "point".

The pagefile runs even with 512MB of ram. Even with less, it doesn't drain the battery half as much as you seem to be assuming. How much it uses the pagefile depends on what kind of applications it's used for.

Furthermore, you don't drain the battery on a notebook when it's plugged into the wall anyway. It really does depend on what the notebook is to be used for.

xp lite means
you have to have a legal copy of xp pro
and make your own cut down version remove unnecessary stuff like most driver you don't need outlook express lots of stuff in there thats junk do search try barts website for help in makingthe disc
and I guess I didn't say one way or other if it(xp Pro) would run on the machine it will it's just going to be a headache and I see no use in doing that win you have a good copy of W2K machine wil run great with it and no headaches
thats all

good nite

I have an 'antique', a Compaq Armada 7400 laptop, with a PII-300, 256MB memory and a 6GB harddisk. I installed XP-Pro in the 'corporate' version that Halo71 mentions, and it runs like a charm. Can't say it is slow, because there is nothing else on it, other than Word 2000, Excel 2000 and EditPadPro for making HTML-changes. No Antivirus and no Firewall. I have a PCMCIA-NIC for it, but I'm not connected/-ing to the Internet.
I only use this laptop to show website-designs to potential new customers and it works just fine. I still have over 4GB free on the HD.
My daughter used this laptop as her main computer until recently, running W2000 and Office 2000 and it had only 128MB. That laptop was on 24/7 for nearly 4 years! Her fiancee bought her a 'proper' PC so she gave this laptop to me. I just bought some more memory and I'm pleased as punch with it.

This should answer Halo71's question.

Thanks RBS and all. That did answer the question. As I said originally, this laptop will only be used for Lotus Notes, spreadsheets and a Shockswitch program, that was designed with XP in mind, to monitor computers on heavy equipment and driving habits, wrecks etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back