TechSpot

Will this work???

By XxLairdxX
Aug 8, 2006
  1. Hello again all, If youve read my other two threads you will have noticed i'm goin g to bbuild a computer. Due to ecommendations and a whole lot of unlucky price raises i've been forced to switch alot of things around. Right now the computer i want to build is composed of this.

CPU-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.20GHz / 1MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket AM2 / Dual-Core (Windsor)

Mobo-Biostar GeForce 6100 AM2 NVIDIA Socket AM2 Motherboard / Audio / Video / PCI Express / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID

Hard Drive-Seagate / Barracuda 7200.9 / 80GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive

Case-Xion II Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

Graphics Card-RADEON X800GT 260mb display memory

Floppy and Cd drives- whatever is in this computer

Operating System- Windows XP Media Center 2005 with remote

I'm preety sure all these are compatible mainly im just unsure of the operating system because i just changed my mind to upgrase up from home edition.
    Also i can upgrade to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.40GHz for $75 more , Is it worth it?
    Thanks for any help you can give in advance!

2. eazy_duz_em

eazy_duz_em TS Rookie Posts: 170

why don't you go with intel's new Conroe? their fast and cheap E6300 is only 200+$ and as fast as high-end amd's.

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,291   +25

Check out the budget PC guide on the TechSpot front page. With that guide, u can get a very good PC for just under 700-100 dollars depending on the choices u make. As for the case, try the Antec Sonata II. It comes with a good quality PSU and looks super as well. A good PSU is important since a cheap one can blow if even slightly overloaded, taking out other components as well. A good quality one will just shut down without causing damage to the components of ur PC.

4. XxLairdxX

XxLairdxX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 65

Ok well this is going to be a gaming computer so i want an AMD. Not only that but AMD has a deal with the site i am ordering these parts from so it is much cheaper than an intel. Also most Canadain stores dont cary the Conroe so i cant go with that. The case i'm getting has all the cooling included wich is great for the price and i'll probably just buy a new PSU. The thing i was mainly concerned about was the compatibilty and quality of the mobo and nobody mentioned that so i think i'm good to rool. I'll probably order the parts on monday.

5. XxLairdxX

XxLairdxX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 65

6. i_am_a_newbie

i_am_a_newbie TS Rookie Posts: 278

Is the card AGP or PCI-e?

7. Superinc

Superinc TS Rookie Posts: 106

If its PCI-E , you should be fine.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.