Will WoW Run Well on this PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenko

Hey,
I have been on a long journey to get a new computer, and it should be here very soon. I was wondering what kind of framerates I should be getting on WoW, Morrowind (with 100 or so mods :p), maybe Oblivion, or other games like that.

System Specs:
1GB Ram
AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz Dual Core Processor
500W PSU
Nvidia 7600GT 256MB Video Card
250GB Hard Drive
3Mbps Internet

What kind of framerates will I be getting on the above games with 12x10 or possibly 10x7 resolution if my PC cant handle 12x10? Do you think I'll actually be able to enter BGs and the main cities on WoW, because on my current PC it crashes because its a piece haha.

Anyways, thanks in advance :D
Tenko

If your PSU isn't a generic junker; you should do very well in those games.

It MIGHT possibly pause for a bit if you enter the more populated areas in WoW but I don't see it being too much of an issue(I don't play WoW sorry).

It didn't come with the PC. It is an Antec PSU so it should work fine. By the way newbie, you should already know it doesn't suck, you have been posting in my other thread "A Decent Computer for a Good Price" for a while already haha :)
Can anyone who has a similar computer or just plays those games make a guess on framerates and lag amounts?
Tenko

Tenko said:
It didn't come with the PC. It is an Antec PSU so it should work fine. By the way newbie, you should already know it doesn't suck, you have been posting in my other thread "A Decent Computer for a Good Price" for a while already haha :)
Can anyone who has a similar computer or just plays those games make a guess on framerates and lag amounts?
Tenko
Heh, I didn't know your new PSU had arrived yet.

Anyways, lag is totally dependant on your internet. As for framerates, you should be expecting high 80's even on very high settings at the very least. I wouldn't know as I do not play those games nor do I have a similar system...

However, I play some pretty GPU intensive games on very high settings and get high 80's, and my PC is far inferior to yours(grr!). :p

It hasn't arrived yet :p
I checked UPS though and it should arrive Thursday at the very latest. Also, what are the specs on your PC and what games do you play on it?
You think I could get like 50 FPS if it was on high settings with 12x10 resolution and good internet?

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHZ
Enermax 535W PSU(upgraded from a crappy ASPIRE 520W i didn't research)
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT (500/1040 clocks)
Seagate 300GB SATA HDD 16mb cache

Anyways, I play F.E.A.R(cpu settings on low cause my cpu is kinda crappy, but gpu settings are on max and i get 80+), Guild Wars on high settings and I get 70+ FPS.

Also, your internet does not effect FPS at all, nor does any of your PC components(other than ethernet adapter maybe) effect the internet(lag).

You should be able to hit 50+ FPS no problem with those specs. But I play 10x7 so what do I know :p

Your PC looks to be similar, and a bit better then mine. Haha, what are you talking about "far inferior" pfft.. :)
And Guild Wars is very similar to World of Warcraft so if your getting 70 Fps on high then I will probably get 50 Fps on WoW. Maybe 15-30 Fps on high settings with 12x10 res.

Okay, well only my CPU is worse(apparently the 3200+ performs quite identically to the X2 3800+ in single thread apps, but I refuse to believe it), and by quite a margin.

Anyways, 15-30fps might be lowballing it. I say you can get 40+ easily.

On maxed specs with 12x10 resolution? I think thats pushin it but you never know. Maybe, just maybe :)
Anyone else that plays games with similar requirements wanna make a guess? :p
Also, how low of Fps do you need to have to start noticing the lag with your eyes? I think around 30 or 25 Fps you start to notice a little lag or stutter don't you?
Lastly, as far as processor performance goes, each core of the X2 3800+ is about equal, maybe a little bit faster or slower, then the single core 3200+ and the X850XT and 7600GT are also very similar performance-wise, so whatever your PC is doing (framerate-wise) mine will probably run 5 or 10 Fps worse.

WoW runs ok on my computer. (Presario)

512mb of RAM
2.93ghz celeron D
No new graphics card

I don't see why it shouldn't run well on yours.

How well? Good enough so you don't have much lag? Can you enter Battlegrounds or Ironforge or Ogrimmar?
Thanks for the reply
:D

Tenko said:
How well? Good enough so you don't have much lag? Can you enter Battlegrounds or Ironforge or Ogrimmar?
Thanks for the reply
:D

Oh it lags all the time. But I can still play it without much hassle. I have played WSG on my other presario which is really alike. Runs ok. But If you have a different video card it should be great.

i_am_a_newbie said:
Anyways, lag is totally dependant on your internet.

I disagree. Lag in it's most basic use is dependant on connection speed. There are many meanings for what people call lag and you will find that even things such as hard drive speed, raid configurations, GPU, RAM amount, and processor quality all will play a factor in 'Lag'

To the OP, that system will run WoW just fine. You shouldn't see any type of lag at all other than maybe not seeing other player characters right when you log into the game. I have a machine with basically the same specs only the video card in mine is a 6800 and it's only running a gig of ram. If you were to compare it to my Intel which is a P4 Prescott on a socket 478 running a Radeon 9800pro it is slower because the Intel is running faster harddrives and more ram. I got a fiber line coming into the house through Verizons FIOS program. 15megs down, 2 up.

Things like WoW and BF2 and what not are not only GPU/RAM dependant but require a lot of R/w to the hard drives.

s3xynanigoat said:
I disagree. Lag in it's most basic use is dependant on connection speed. There are many meanings for what people call lag and you will find that even things such as hard drive speed, raid configurations, GPU, RAM amount, and processor quality all will play a factor in 'Lag'

To the OP, that system will run WoW just fine. You shouldn't see any type of lag at all other than maybe not seeing other player characters right when you log into the game. I have a machine with basically the same specs only the video card in mine is a 6800 and it's only running a gig of ram. If you were to compare it to my Intel which is a P4 Prescott on a socket 478 running a Radeon 9800pro it is slower because the Intel is running faster harddrives and more ram. I got a fiber line coming into the house through Verizons FIOS program. 15megs down, 2 up.

Things like WoW and BF2 and what not are not only GPU/RAM dependant but require a lot of R/w to the hard drives.
Which is exactly what I meant...

LAG is LITERALLY slow/disrupted connection speed due to either slow internet, packet loss, etc ,etc. The general misuse of the term is referring to the computer performance being choppy because of lack of processing power in the CPU, GPU, bottlenecked using the pagefile, etc..

I did address both issues, so your nitpicking is quite useless.

Break it up, break it up :p No need to get all touchy guys :)
I just wanted to know if there would be any form of lag. (Choppy performance, bad internet connection, etc.) Since my computer should run it fine and my internet is decent, it should work and I just wanted confirmation of this :)
Since I got the confirmation I needed, you guys have no need to argue.
End of story:D

i_am_a_newbie said:
so your nitpicking is quite useless.

Since you want to be sensitive, I will show you nitpicking.

The OP's original question was what type of frame rates he should expect to see. Since the answer to this question is arbitrary the real question should have been will I experience lag, which is fully demonstrated by these two comments.
i_am_a_newbie said:
You should be able to hit 50+ FPS no problem with those specs
i_am_a_newbie said:
As for framerates, you should be expecting high 80's even on very high settings at the very least

i_am_a_newbie said:
If your PSU isn't a generic junker; you should do very well in those games.
Please explain to the OP how his PSU manufacturer will have any say in his game performance. It's been my experience that cheap PSU's do not play a role in anything other than when your computer dies and whether or not it even turns on.

i_am_a_newbie said:
Anyways, lag is totally dependant on your internet.
I'm coming back to this statement because it is obvious the OP does not mean lag in it's literal meaning. The OP is requesting advice on his game performance and by lag is most surely not referring to just internet connection speed or FR, but if he is going to see game degregation based on any of his computer specs.

i_am_a_newbie said:
Also, your internet does not effect FPS at all, nor does any of your PC components(other than ethernet adapter maybe) effect the internet(lag).
Lets assume that the OP had a 10Mbps NIC card running on Cat 5e into his 100Mbps Linksys router. That router runs Cat5e into a 67 block and out through his homes demark. The OP's internet provider has a contract for 3Mbps download with the OP. Please explain how the users Ethernet Adapter, which would be just about the slowest NIC card on the market, is going to make him lag.

And that is what I call nitpicking.
/popcorn

Oh, fun.

s3xynanigoat said:
Since you want to be sensitive, I will show you nitpicking.

The OP's original question was what type of frame rates he should expect to see. Since the answer to this question is arbitrary the real question should have been will I experience lag, which is fully demonstrated by these two comments.
Yes, the first statement was to answer his initial question. I was assuming 10x7 resolution. He posted more qualifiers, I lowered the expectation. I don't exactly understand the point you're trying to get across.

Please explain to the OP how his PSU manufacturer will have any say in his game performance. It's been my experience that cheap PSU's do not play a role in anything other than when your computer dies and whether or not it even turns on.
Let's see; unstable voltage will lead to poor performance from his parts. MANY things happen with bad PSU's, it's not just the extreme or absolutely nothing.

Example: Unstable voltages inevitably lead to overheating(gpu, cpu), which will no doubt lead to dropped FPS(hence my statement) and if it gets bad enough, artifacting, freezing and then the BSOD/power down.
I'm coming back to this statement because it is obvious the OP does not mean lag in it's literal meaning. The OP is requesting advice on his game performance and by lag is most surely not referring to just internet connection speed or FR, but if he is going to see game degregation based on any of his computer specs.
No kidding? I realize he didn't mean it's literal meaning, but I did address both of his questions. So once again, nitpick away but it's going nowhere.
Lets assume that the OP had a 10Mbps NIC card running on Cat 5e into his 100Mbps Linksys router. That router runs Cat5e into a 67 block and out through his homes demark. The OP's internet provider has a contract for 3Mbps download with the OP. Please explain how the users Ethernet Adapter, which would be just about the slowest NIC card on the market, is going to make him lag.
I said maybe, what if he was quoted more than 10MBps by his internet provider? Such as the 15mbps line you've quoted. Wouldn't the card be the bottleneck there?
And that is what I call nitpicking.
/popcorn
Tasty.

If you'd like to continue, give me a PM and I'd gladly embarass myself some more(I do not claim to be an expert, but I don't see the wrong in my posts). I see no reason to continue this debate here when his question has been fully answered.

Continue if you must :p
But seriously, yea my question is answered so unless s3xy wants to try and counter you I see no point in keeping this thread continuing.
Anyways, thanks for the help guys :)

Well, for anyone who has or is getting a PC like mine and is wondering how well it runs. It runs awesome! I can run Oblivion, WoW, and CS:S full settings with no lag. I've had my computer for like 4 months now and I have no regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back