Will XP Home work on this older computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

Hi

I'm building a new system, but might have a business
use for my old computer, but I'd need to install XP Home.

It's a 133 mhz FSB board, and an 850 Coppermine P3.

I've got plenty drive space, and can add more RAM no problem.
It's currently just got 256.

Thanks!

Yes, but why?

I'd say yes too, but why bother? If your old PC in Win98 you wouldn't gain much, except a rather sluggish XP home PC. At the moment, I dont know of anything that won't run happily on 98, except games....

Furthermore, you speak of a business use. Now if that means networking, you can't with XP home above an absurdly limited network level (home networking right?), so you're talking XP pro then, much more expensive, and demanding, yet 98 would still be perfectly happy....

Windows 2000 would be ideal for that system. XP would run too but much slower. And yes, XP Home is an awfully crippled thing which you should never use.

macx said:
... It's a 133 mhz FSB board, and an 850 Coppermine P3.

My laptop runs XP Pro P3 1.1 with 256Mb of memory. It runs but slow and although your machine will run OK I'd be inclined to follow Nodsu's advice and for W2K Pro.

It's well known that I love W2K to bits.
But a few weeks ago I set up an Asus P2B-S with a PII-550, 256MB memory and a good 40GB harddisk, and installed XP-Pro on it. Graphics is a 16MB Matrox G200 AGP.
The XP runs much smoother and faster than the previously installed W2K/SP4 on the same hardware. Its networked as well, and the use for it is almost exclusively business.
Your setup is better than mine, so XP-Pro (or Home if networking not required) would run fine.

The reason I asked about XP is that my wife is looking into
doing some work-at-home on this machine but it requires
XP.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back