Will you opt for Microsoft Edge?

D

DelJo63

Microsoft Edge is the rebranding / reworked IE for Win/10 but . . .
Users and companies that cannot load their websites or apps because of the new engine -- can always turn back to Internet Explorer, which won’t be pinned to the taskbar, but will instead be available in the Start menu.
hmm; Incompatibility and security issues are why many left IE in the first place. Users of Firefox, Opera and Chrome have no (or few) compatibility issues so why step back into the fire???

I read about this a while back (when Edge (the name) was first announced). Has something changed since then? I thought the part you quoted is for those terrible businesses that have websites that require IE to work. I think Edge is a lot more cool with web standards than IE (especially older IEs) and Microsoft is basically saying if there is some site that requires IE to work properly, you will still have IE to fall back on to.

I think Edge is a lot more cool with web standards than IE (especially older IEs)
Yea verily verily - - much better than IE. But it's not just websites - - there's lots of applications using multiple scripting engines (jscript vs cscript vs wscript) and non-standard DOMs (Document Object Model)

Based upon the browser implementation of DOM, web programmers get to write special case stuff like
Code:
   if (window.XMLHttpRequest) xmlhttp = new XMLHttpRequest();  // rational browsers
   else xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");          // irrational MS
and lots of other specific cases (yea, I site obsolete version, but the point is none should be required)
Code:
<!--[if gte IE 7]>
  <div id="ie7andup">
<![endif]-->

<!--[if IE 6]>
  <div id="ie6only">
<![endif]-->

<!--[if IE 5.5000]>
  <div id="ie5-5only">
<![endif]-->

<!--[if lt IE 5.5000]>
  <div id="ie5-01only">
<![endif]-->
Forcing non-standard coding in an attempt to (keep | coerce) customer loyalty has an end-of-life pain that we are just coming to understand and that's what standards helps the community to avoid - -PAIN.

[edit] oops, typo[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back