Win 10 class not registered error - when trying to open a link

Iddo12

Hi,
I recently upgraded to win 10 from 8.1 and I am running into a few problems.
I'll start with this very annoying one and than open a different thread for the others.

So I like to save URL links on my desktop - used to work fine on 8.1. Now on 10 when I drag a link from chrome to the desktop I get an error with:
"c:\user\....url"
class not registered.

I tried to look on line and there are many types of "class not registered errors and solutions - so far nothing seemed to work.

Ideas?

Iddo

Try Save Page As and place it into your Documents folder.
If you Save Complete Page, then there will be a folder named exactly like the url
if you Save HTML only, then you get the page w/o the graphics

Thanks for the answer but I really don't think that you are getting what I am trying to do here.
I used to be able to drag and drop url links to my desktop (or anywhere else for that matter) and press them to open them again.
Now with win 10 I am getting this error massage which I am trying to resolve - what you are suggesting doesn't solve the error massage.

I understand perfectly what you are attempting. Did you even try the suggestion - - there's a technical reason I made it.

O.K. -I'll play along.
Just tried to save this page as "save as" - I am getting 1/55 b (I am using chrome) but the page doesn't seem to finish saving - thoughts?

Just to be sure, you attempted to save into your Documents folder? we known you have the right perms on the directory to do that,
so it's got to be related to your browser. Try same thing with IE

Not sure what I got but on IE it seems to work (I think - I have some sort of document with the webpage name .HTML).
So what is your diagnosis?

Be sure it's correct - - dbl-click on that file name should give back the original website presentation.
If so,the I would uninstall Chrome, reboot, download a fresh copy and reinstall.

Just checked - the same link does open in IE so again it is a chrome issue.
I'll uninstall and re-install and see what happens

Worked!
Problem solved - thanks.
I have a much more annoying (and possibly unsolvable DPI issue in win 10 - I'll post it on a different thread later tonight - maybe you will be able to help with it as well).

Yours,
Iddo

Back