Win 10 Desktop Shuts Down Every 30 Minutes

ecobuilder

This happened about a month ago where my computer would shut down every 30 minutes. Figured out it was after a windows update had downloaded but don't remember what I did to fix it.

It is back after another windows update. Need help to figure this out.

What I've attempted so far:

* updated all drivers, including Intel chipset driver
* replaced CMOS battery and reset CMOS
* ran MBAM, Superantispyware, AvastAV, Glary Utilities, Spybot S&D
* reinstalled Win 10

Temperatures are normal.

Don't think it's the PSU. Verified last time it is in good working order. It's a PC Power & Cooling 610W.

Any info/advice appreciated.

MB: Asus P8Z77-V
CPU: i7 3770K
RAM: 16 GB G-Skill Ripjaws
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX460
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 750GB

Last edited:
Event Viewer (today) gives me:

Level: Critical ID: 41 Source: Kernel-Power The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.
Level: Error ID: 1101 Source: Event Log Audit events have been dropped by the transport.
Level: Error ID: 10016 Source: DistributedCOM The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

Sorry that you cannot recall earlier solution. Since it seems triggered by update, perhaps loading a recent restore point would give you a chance to prove it is software.

Unfortunately, doing a reinstall of Win 10 has left me with no prior restore points.

Replaced the thermal paste with MX4. No change.

May have to bite the bullet and try a new PSU. Baffling, but this is the strangest problem I've had.

Was wondering if the 30 minutes period was precise. If it is, then it is a timer (and not PSU). Various shutdown timers exist in software, just not sure where.

There is no shutdown timer running. Checked through cmd window.

Did notice in Power Options that Maximum Processor Frequency under Processor Power Mgmt is set to 0 mHz.

Is this normal?

No change. One thing that was odd - I tried installing the IME files from ASUS website and it stops and says "the platform is not supported".

Any thoughts?

'I tried installing the IME files' - you need Mandarin or Cyrillic?

'There is no shutdown timer running. Checked through cmd window. ' - your selected test did not find a running shutdown timer is not necessarily proof that there is none - google 'pc shutdown timer windows 10' shows more than 5 - explore each to see if operating - BIOS is unlikely - Power Options is most likely - I believe there are others...

The precise nature of your periodic shutdown says that there is a software shutdown operating.

Thought: does it shutdown in BIOS after 30 minutes? SAFE mode? clean boot? These are progressive steps from no OS to almost no 3rd party software - might help determine if shutdown is inside Windows.

I already tried to cancel a shutdown in CMD, Powershell, and Task Scheduler. I just did the cancel from the Run command. Will see what comes of it.

It shuts down whether in BIOS, Safe Mode, etc. Power Options I've set as well to no avail. Talked with Asus and all they can offer is for me to send the MB to them to attempt a fix.

If it shuts down in BIOS that means no software has been loaded, so it must be hardware - Asus replacement of motherboard may be the right idea. Prove it by removing the HDD and any other bootable and entering and staying in BIOS for 31 minutes.

Pulled cable for SSD that has OS on it. Also pulled the storage HDD and optical. Still powered down after 30 minutes.

Will have to decide if worth it to send out of warranty MB for repair or purchase new one.

Still makes no sense. Could a windows 10 update corrupt a MB?

"Could a windows 10 update corrupt a MB?" IMHO, only if BIOS malware introduced - else, it is a hardware fault.

Anyone else have any ideas?? This is a strange one.

I came across a forum where someone stated that switching off the auto-overclocking switch could correct this.

If my BCLK reading is 99.76 mHz, does this indicate I'd have to turn off overclocking?

Sorry, had assumed that all overclocking was OFF - if you have OC'd, do turn it OFF. 100mHz does not sound like an overclock, but you have the manual - not I.

"Pulled cable for SSD that has OS on it. Also pulled the storage HDD and optical. Still powered down after 30 minutes." seems to be in BIOS and not in software. Read through manual again - especially BIOS setup.

Last idea... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

If no correction found, consider beginning an RMA.

Back