Win 2000 drive integrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturbo23

After updating my system from Win98 to 2000 pro with few problems. I chose not to format the drive as NTFS and left it as FAT32 so that my data wasnt lost.

Now 1/3 times windows restarts after i shutdown and checks the hard drives integrity.

Would reinstalling win2000 pro solve this or is there another solution?

Thanks Mike

I think your machine is not shutting down properly and dismounting the system volume properly.

Check your event log (start, run, eventvwr, [RETURN]) and see if there is an explanation for this.

It definitely sounds like a shutdown problem, but I have to admit that FAT32 is not the best file system when it comes to file integrity. Of course the best choice for WinNT/2K/XP is to use NTFS, but there are still reasons why people (such as me) need to use FAT32 for these OSes.

I have loaded Event Viewer what should i look for?

I have found this error:
Unable to read IO control information from NBT device. in file Perfctrs.

IT seems to appear alot

would this be the problem?

Kinda like when Win98 doesn't shutdown, right? You can upgrade to NTFS on install without losing your data. You can also upgrade to NTFS after upgrading to Win2k. It may end your problems. I think that log error comes from not having the SPs installed. I know I've seen it before. You can get the CD of SP2 from Microsoft. I think they charge about $10 for it. It's worth it if you have a dialup connection.

I have now done a clean install of Windows 2000 and converted the drive to NTFS.

I still get problems when i go to shutdown, but check disk doesnt load anymore.

I Have checked that all the cables in my computer are connected properly but still havent found a solution

What are SP's?

What are you having problems with on shutdown? What parts does your computer consist of? (Motherboard, drives, PCI cards) I bet we can help with more info.

Yeah it is a shutdown problem

Iam running:
Athlon DDR 266MHZ motherboard
Athlon XP 1.5 CPU
256MB PC2100 DDR memory
40GB 7200 RPM UDMA HD 2MB buffer
64MB NVIDIA Geforce MX
Soundblaster live 5.1
56K Modem
Floppy Drive
16x DVD Drive
Plextor 12/10/32 CD Writer