Win 2000 network issue

Hodsocks

I have recently reloaded win 2000 pro on a computer, come to set it up on the network and am having some issues, I have to admit that networking is not by strong point.
The server runs Win 2000 server, I have manually set the correct ip address and the pc is finding all of the computers on the network but when I come to access files on any other computer I get a box popping up asking me to enter network password. It has two boxes, one is "Connect as" and one for password. The guys in the office dont think there is a password as they don't remember ever being asked for one.
I feel it is a simple issue but my lack of knowledge is hindering me so I am hoping you more knowledgable guys can point me in the right direction.

1- what type of network (Domain or workgroup )?
2- what kind of OS in the other computer you want to access?

Workgroup
The server has Windows 2000 server on it, other pc's are a combination of Win 2000 and XP. its primarily the server I need to access.

In the box that shows "Connect as" did you try access by typing the name of PC?
example:
"Connect as: ABC-PC\administrator
Password: ********* (the administrator password of PC that u want to access )

Yep, tried that, except of course noone knows the password, assuming there is one. Is there anywhere on the server where I can check the password, or even change it.

You're trying to remotely access the files and folders on the Windows 2000 machine, right?

On the windows 2000 machine
> Open Windows File Explorer
> Rt click Tools->Folder Options, click View tab
> Scroll towards the bottom to look for Use Simple File Sharing option

Is it checked??
> In any case, check it so it IS set
> Now make sure the Guest account on both the remote and the W2K machine use the same password

Back