Win 7/XP partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaorichan2002

Im trying to get a partition created on a computer with windows 7 on it. However i keep getting a bsod when i try to use the xp disk to create and install the partition/os. it tells me to scan for a virus and check disk. I don't really know how to get to Check disk on 7. I remember on xp you could schedule it for reboot. I can run windows 7 with no problem. I just like windows xp a little bit more. that and my cam wont work on 7 and im not paying 50 for a new one. So can anyone help me with this little dilema? would be appriciated <3. Its a windows xp bsod by the way.

As far as i know you can't go back to older OS from newer one; so you will have to reinstall from the scratch ...... i.e. erasing your existing 7 installation/formating its partition and reinstalling everything ....... or else you can use some 3rd party boot manager which can allow this without reinstallation.

What?

As far as i know you can't go back to older OS from newer one; so you will have to reinstall from the scratch ...... i.e. erasing your existing 7 installation/formating its partition and reinstalling everything ....... or else you can use some 3rd party boot manager which can allow this without reinstallation.

So I can't Dual boot VISTA and XP if VISTA was installed first?

Damn....... I was about to Dual boot my laptop until I saw this.....

unfortunately that's pretty much correct; however, I never used any 3rd party partition managers; which may or may not allow this

So I can't Dual boot VISTA and XP if VISTA was installed first?

Damn....... I was about to Dual boot my laptop until I saw this.....

Dual Booting Vista and XP when Vista is installed first is possible but it will not be easy as it would be when XP and Vista.

For this dual boot to work you will need a program as when you will install XP you won't be able to boot to Vista until you use a program Name Easy BCD one well known(but there are many program for this purposes.

Here is the guide for install XP after Vista on dual booting.

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

You might also need to create a slipstream version of XP to include drivers for your PC, for example if you have a SATA drive. That's what I'm having to do at the moment.

Noooooooooooo!

unfortunately that's pretty much correct; however, I never used any 3rd party partition managers; which may or may not allow this

Guess I'm stuck with VISTA! unless.....if I can uninstall VISTA and then install XP, hmmmm this might all work out but then again, I've tried this option and many times, I get BSOD while trying to boot from my XP disc.....Shame really.....Anyway, I don't really see a reason why to have a clean installation of XP and getting VISTA to vanish. After all, my VISTA OS is a genuine version and to get rid of an OS that was pre-installed to your computer, would be like kicking your kids out of the house and bringing other random kids to your house to replace them.

*sigh*

Guess I'm stuck with VISTA! unless.....if I can uninstall VISTA and then install XP, hmmmm this might all work out but then again, I've tried this option and many times, I get BSOD while trying to boot from my XP disc.....Shame really.....Anyway, I don't really see a reason why to have a clean installation of XP and getting VISTA to vanish. After all, my VISTA OS is a genuine version and to get rid of an OS that was pre-installed to your computer, would be like kicking your kids out of the house and bringing other random kids to your house to replace them.

*sigh*

Does your PC have a SATA drive? If so then that'll be the reason for the BSOD when trying to boot the XP disc - what error do you get?. You need to either use the F6 option at the start of setup and provide the SATA drivers on a floppy drive, or create a slipstream version of the XP disc that has the drivers included.

I'm trying to install XP and Vista at the moment, but I don't foresee any problems with partitioning etc once XP is on. The only thing I'll need to do is use Easy BCD to set up the boot menu to select between Vista and XP.

I see

Does your PC have a SATA drive? If so then that'll be the reason for the BSOD when trying to boot the XP disc - what error do you get?.

Yes, and why?

For error code, I'll try to get that up if possible if I can.

*sigh*

Damnit! where's my XP disc? huh? damn! I think I lost it???!

Oh, wait, here it is!

Sorry, I was looking for my disc while typing this up.

Yes, and why?

An original XP disc won't have the drivers for the SATA drive, as the standard when XP was released was IDE. So when you try to start, it's won't find any hard drives. You might also have to integrate chipset drivers into the slipstreamed disc.

Slipstreaming is the process of taking your original XP disc files, integrating things like Service Packs and drivers, and then building a new bootable disc which you can use to install.

The best program I've found for doing this is called nLite and is really easy to use. If you Google search for slipstreaming XP you should be able to find a few guides on how to do it. The one thing to watch for though is the OS you use when creating the disc. I was using Win7 RC1 and trying to integrate SP3, but the disc wouldn't work. I think there are other issues integrating SP3 anyway as I've also tried creating the disc on an XP machine and still get errors. I've not had another chance to try creating a new disc yet, but I'm just going to try integrating SP2 and the drivers and see how that goes.

Oh crap!

An original XP disc won't have the drivers for the SATA drive, as the standard when XP was released was IDE.

So if I buy 1TB HDD that uses SATA as the connection interface for OS drive for XP 64-bit with SP3, it will BSOD right?

And I can't install XP on a SATA HDD if it doesn't have the drivers for it?

Guess I have to slipstream XP. Do you know a good safe site I can do it?

(saves me the trouble of doing it myself) :D

Here's where to get nLite

http://www.nliteos.com/

Here's a few guides that look ok, just read through each one and find the one that suits you...

http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--Slipstream-your-XP-installation

http://paparadit.blogspot.com/2007/06/installing-sata-hard-drive-with-windows.html

Some of those go over just adding the service pack, and some go over integrating the SATA drivers. You might need to add the chipset drivers for your PC as well, especially (I think) if you have a PCIe interface. Just follow the process for integrating the drivers, and select the chipset drivers instead. When you're getting the drivers, try to find a zip of the driver files.

If you can only find an exe, then download total commander and use it to unpack the exe into a folder and use that to get the driver files.

http://www.ghisler.com/

http://www.ghisler.com/beginners.htm#tutorial_unpack

Once you've created the disc, you could use Virtualbox to set up a virtual PC and test installing XP on that.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Hope that's enough to get you started.

So if I buy 1TB HDD that uses SATA as the connection interface for OS drive for XP 64-bit with SP3, it will BSOD right?

And I can't install XP on a SATA HDD if it doesn't have the drivers for it?

Guess I have to slipstream XP. Do you know a good safe site I can do it?

(saves me the trouble of doing it myself) :D

I did post a reply earlier with links to useful guides etc, but it said it was being moderated and so far hasn't appeared.

You need drivers disk for SATA HDDs during xp setup ..... second option is IF your motherboard support IDE Emulation for SATA drives you may be in luck ... I remember having that on one my HP Notebooks (i think it was 6720s)

We're talking about XP not VISTA!

Anyway, would any old SATA drivers do?

No, you'd need the drivers for the chipset you have. Check it in the device manager for Vista. It'ss probably be something like 82801 ICH7 or ICH8 or ICH9

I managed to get XP finally installed last night. I changed the startup options and manually added an entry for Vista, but I get an error about missing sytem32/hal.dll when I try to boot Vista.. XP boots ok, but I'll need to have a read around today to fix the problem booting Vista.

I tried installing EasyBCD but it doesn't start, so I don't think it's compatible with XP.

Edit: Just read that EasyBCD doesn't work under Xp until I install the latest .Net Framework. All should be fine after that.

Works with 7

Dual Booting Vista and XP when Vista is installed first is possible but it will not be easy as it would be when XP and Vista.

For this dual boot to work you will need a program as when you will install XP you won't be able to boot to Vista until you use a program Name Easy BCD one well known(but there are many program for this purposes.

Here is the guide for install XP after Vista on dual booting.

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots
This should work on 7 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back