Win 8 Pro (x64) BSOD - 0x7e & 0xbe

By Baasha
Oct 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I use my computer for rendering videos that I have edited.

While rendering some videos, I keep getting BSODs - some are 0x7e and others are 0xbe and some 0x50.

My rig specs are:

CPU: i7 990X @ 4.4Ghz (1.31V)
    GPU: 2x GTX-780 Classified SLI
    MoBo: ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer
    HDD/SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB)

I ran Intel Burn Test several times (10 runs) and it passed fine and everything else works properly. I can play games, watch movies, and do other stuff on the computer but whenever I'm rendering a video, it crashes after some time with the bugcheck codes listed above.

I used WhoCrashed to read the minidump files and this is what it shows:

[​IMG]
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

Looks like a boot SSD problem
  3. Baasha

Baasha Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

^Could you please elaborate?

I just got this brand new Samsung EVO SSD and in Samsung Magician (software for monitoring the SSD), it shows a clean bill of health(?).

Here is the SMART data from the SSD:

[​IMG]
  4. Tmagic650

Use Memtest86 to test the memory:
    http://www.memtest.org/
    Download v5.01.iso and burn it to a CD or DVD. Run Memtest86 for at least 7 passes. No errors are allowed
  5. Baasha

I ran MemTest86 and ran 8 passes. No errors were found.

I had another BSOD today while trying to render a video in Premiere Pro and this time, the Bugcheck code was 0x124 but the "faulty driver" was hal.dll.

You mentioned something about the Boot SSD possibly causing an issue? I am using an SSD enclosure where the SSD is connected to and then a SATA cable goes to the port on the motherboard.

Further, I ran SFC /SCANNOW and there were several "corrupt files" found - I've attached the CBS.Log file here.

This is driving me nuts as everything works fine except when rendering a video! It keeps crashing and rebooting! :mad:

Attached Files:

6. Tmagic650

Because scannnow found errors and HAL.dll was flagged, this does point to a boot drive (SSD) issue
  7. Baasha

Okay, so how do I fix it? As I said, the computer seems to work fine in every other setting except when rendering video (Premiere Pro installed on the C (boot) drive).
  8. Tmagic650

How big is the SSD drive? How much space is left on it?
  9. Baasha

The SSD is 250GB and there is 179GB left (Free Space). The Samsung Magician tool shows the health of the drive as "GOOD" and I posted the SMART info earlier in the thread.
  10. Tmagic650

Okay, when you are rendering a video temporary space is used on the hard drive (SSD) and memory is greatly used at the same time. I have 16BG of memory installed and a 1.3TB hard drive RAID array. I have no problems rendering Blue Ray video. It just takes a while. Have you checked for over-heating issues
  11. Baasha

Sorry for the late reply.. but there are no overheating issues.

It turns out that only Premier Pro is causing these crashes. I have been rendering several files with Vegas and it has worked without issue (thankfully).

I also ran some tests on the CPU (IBT) and it passed without a single hiccup. I guess there is some problem with Adobe Premiere Pro CC - it's such a good program but I'm not going to be using it because of these crashes. Ugh...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.