win 98 peer to peer networking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
hai guys, I ve 3 pcs in my office with 98 as os and peer to peer networked using a 8 port hub every thing was working smoothly suddenly today one machine is not comming on the network it is not even getting pinged iam using the same workgroup name & induividual ip adress netbui is also installed i reinstalled the drivers & procols but not use the strange thing is when i assign this machine other pcs ip adrees immmediately ip conflict message is poping up on other machine some times this machine name is listed in networkneigbourhood but network cannot be acessed. what might be wrong can any one help me

your writing suggests that you are manually assigning IP addresss.
If this is so, then all you need to do is keep good records
.. machine-1 ip addr-1,
.. machine-2 ip addr-2,
.. machine-N ip addr-N

ensure all IP addrs are UNIQUE,
all have the same subnet mask (typically 255.255.255.0)
and point to the same gateway.

If you're using a router and have DHCP enabled, make sure ALL
machines are confg'd for DHCP

What change(s) occured just before this symptom?

ashok42 said:
hai guys, I have 3 pcs in my office with 98 as os and peer to peer networked with same workgroup using a 8 port hub. Every thing was working smoothly suddenly today one machine is not comming on the network it is not even getting pinged iam using the same workgroup name & induividual ip adress netbeui is also installed i reinstalled the drivers & protocols but no result the strange thing is when i assign this machine other pcs ip addresss immediately ip conflict message is poping up on other machine. Some times this machine name is listed in networkneigbourhood but network cannot be acessed. what might be wrong can any one help me
thanks for that quick response,
each machine have unique ip adress & same subbnet mask and gateway
iam using a hub so no scope for dhcp strange thing is when i assign this machine other pcs existing ip addresss immediately ip conflict message is poping up on other machine but after reassigning the seperate ip this machines is still not pinging.

ok. the ipconflict is normal.. 2 boxes cant have the same ip/subnet on the same physical network.

can you ping from the box in question?

are you pinging by ip address or by hostname? you may be having a netbios problem and can not see others by hostname?

urbandragon said:
ok. the ipconflict is normal.. 2 boxes cant have the same ip/subnet on the same physical network.

can you ping from the box in question?

are you pinging by ip address or by hostname? you may be having a netbios problem and can not see others by hostname?
the self pinging is working but iam unable to ping other machine iam pinging by ip adress but tried hostname also but nothing is working the physical link is working (Link act in hub and lancard) i reinstalled both the drivers & all the protocols but no use

is the hub a 10/100 hub.. autosensing..

set the nic card on the problem box to 10MB full duplex and see what happens.

to do that go to device manager and the properties of the NIC.

urbandragon said:
is the hub a 10/100 hub.. autosensing..

set the nic card on the problem box to 10MB full duplex and see what happens.

to do that go to device manager and the properties of the NIC.
both my card & hub are 10 mbbs and the prob it was working smoothly upto 4 days before very suddenly only this prob started

urbandragon said:
have you tried replacing the CAT5 cable?
i had not tried that since the link is coming & going as soon as cable is plugged & unplugged ill try that also. Again if the cat 5 is faulty how come ip conflict message be poped up when i assign onother box ip to this faulty box ip

I have seen wierder things happen.. it seems like you have covered your basics uninstalled nic reinstall nic, uninstall tcp>ip protocal stack, verified workgroup

one other thing i overlooked.. do you have any firewalls configured on any of the boxes? , you said you are getting link activity so that mean the physical connection is working.. the problem could be due to firewall blocking or lost/dropped packes to/from source/destination ip address.....

I agree it is unlikely that the cat5 is causing it but it is one more step you can try.

i connected onother machine to this box its getting pinged so cat5 is out of question i dont have any firewall installed only antivirus that too i disabled and checked but no +ve results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back