win 98se dual boot to Xp pro/win98se

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello People,

Win 98se
HDD : 8Gb
Ram : 64Mb
Pr: 433Gz Celeron

Need to install xp on spare box so my new mp3 player will will work.
thats ALL i need xp for so performance wise it needs to load up, throw on my music and thats it. I know my spec is krud but i figure it wont be too heavy duty as only 2 programes will use it.

My rough plan is to partition a new drive E: about 1.5 Gig with PMagic/fdisc. Then Install xp pro onto this drive. Run a dual boot.

Should I use a boot manager or none at all ?
My file system shudn't be a problem as i never chose to compress it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

What MP3 Player do you have and what software do you intend on using? Is it one of those USB stick MP3 Players?

for dual boot you will need at least 128MB of ram, I recomend 256MB if your system can handle it. As far as boot managers go as long as you have only MS operateing systems I recomend you just use the one Included with XP.

You guys are full of crap. XP will install on 128 megs of ram just fine.

djmike - What you need to do is get that partition set up for XP. I recommend Partition Magic for that rather than fdisk because PM is non-destructive in resizing partitions.

Then pop in the XP disk, 98 will open it and start some install dialogue, DO NOT choose upgrade, choose new installation, then I think you have to click advanced somewhere around there and tell it you want to choose the partition you install to. For you I recommend keeping the format FAT32, the benefits of NTFS do not outweigh the positives for FAT32 in your situation.

XP's GUI setup in 98 will now want you to reboot, do so, set up xp on the correct partition (you have to choose it again in the setup after the reboot I believe).

Finish the setup and you are all set, now everytime you boot you will be asked which OS you want to boot into.

Its a creative vision M that requires XP. Ive manged to blag 256Mb chip off a mate so that shud improve matters.

Some forums have recommended a bigger drive than the 8Gb HD and that the 2Gb partition isnt enough space for Xp, is this true ?

is this necessary as I have 80Gb in external storage and amn't too keen on forking out for an internal HD for an old machine

Also, will my celeron 433 run xp ?

2 gigs is the bare minimum for XP to install on, plus some updates.. personaly, i would've had it to 5gb to give it headroom but its your call.. you can rip out the external hdd and install it inside (keep the case for future use tho) and make that your primary hdd etc.

I've heard winxp runs on lower specs, so fingers crossed it should be able to run on the celeron, but you have to turn off pretty much all its gizmos, flashy bits and use the "classic windows" theme.. just dont expect it to be as fast as a new pc would be though..

"Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional•
PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device"

OK thats from the Microsoft website, so it should run on your system with your specs even if you had the 64mb of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back