Win Media Player (and iTunes) will NOT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using Win XP.

Last year, I was running Windows Media Player and opened the Visualizations (I think that's what I did) and my screen went black, the computer freaked out, and from then on, I haven't been able to see the "open program". If I open Windows Media Player by double-clicking the icon, the tab at the bottom of the screen will appear, but the program will not open. I can even hear the mp3 or mpeg playing but can't see anything. I tried uninstalling it and re-installing WMP, but to no avail so I abandoned using it.

So I've been using iTunes for a month, and noticed there was a visualizations feature as well. I clicked on it this afternoon and the exact same thing happened as it did with WMP. The screen initially went blank, my computer freaked out flashing a few squarelike images, and then the desktop came up. (I guess I never learn.) The menu at the bottom shows iTunes tab, but the program is not "open". If I click on an mp3, it plays through iTunes, but that is it. Right clicking on the tab at the bottom gives me the options to Restore or to Maximize, but nothing happens.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance...

What DirectX version do you have? You can find that out by going to start -> run -> dxdiag

Run those tests that are avaiable to you, visit microsoft.windowsupdate.com and see if you can download their latest version of direct x, or search microsoft's site for it.

Also you can try updating your video drivers.

You can also see if you are running the latest version of WMP. As well as uninstalling iTunes and restarting, then downloading and installing the latest version of it.

Also you might try running a registry cleaner to rid yourself of any possible bad threads, running a spyware remover, and run a virus check. You could have something hidden in your registry that activates when you try to watch videos of some sort.

Uninstall the programs that are giving you problems and then clean the registry to make sure it is tatally gone. Restart computer and reinstall. This might help.

I think I read somewhere before someone having the identical issues you're having. Lemme see if I can track it down and I'll post the fix they found.

The problem was something extremely simple - not needing to uninstall the apps.

I'm sorry - I've been searching but I'm unable to find the info now :( I have been racking my brain trying to remember where I saw it. Just for grins can you try turning down all video hardware acceleration in your display settings under the Troubleshoot tab then launch each of those apps? If I remember I will post the solution I once saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back