Win SBS 2003 - Server/Client Connection Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am the 'administrator' of a small Windows Small Business Server 2003 network which comprises 1 Server (1 NIC) and 8 Clients. One of the client computers failed and I had to run a diagnostic on the components which meant testing each i.e. M/b, Video, CPU Hd etc. It transpired that on this Client the PSU was the problem so I installed a new PSU, rebuilt the Client and connected it to the network and restarted it.

Everything started OK except I could not connect to the network. I tried to 'Join a domain' via My Computer, Properties, Computer Name and Change and putting in the Domain name of the server.

I receiver the 'Error' message:-

An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain ABCD.CO.UK.

The error was: "The requested address is not valid in its context." (error code 0x00002741 WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL)

The query was for the SRV record for_ldap_tcp.dc_msdcs.ABCD.CO.UK

So there you are, the full 'Error' message. I have so far been unable to get the Client computer to connect to the Win SBS 2003 Server but there is one thing that may be relevant, I did attach the HD to another Client pc to confirm it was OK so could this have reset something on the HD which has stopped it connecting to the Server?

Any help on this would be gratefully accepted?

Regards
Gerryw
p.s. Hope this is not to long winded...

The computer is not in the domain at the moment?

The first thing to check with everything related to Active Directory: is the DNS set up correctly? Make sure that the computer in question has the SBS machine as its DNS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back