Win XP Freezes on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on my PC, which has frozen during startup. It gets as far as the startup bar across the bottom of the screen followed by a very dim image of the Windows XP screen, but doesn't get any further. I then have to do a power down, after which (on starting again) I get the MS-DOS error screen message saying 'unfortunately there was an error during the last startup, please choose one of the following options' (or words to that effect.) If I choose to go back to the last known good configuration, I get the same result. Anyway, I restarted several times with the same result. The progress bar would move for about 10 seconds, then it would get ratchety and then finally freeze. I am able to startup OK in Safe Mode and connect to the internet.

Start in Sfe mode
Go to my computer
Right click on C drive
Properties
Tools
Check Now
Tick top square
Start
OK YES OK

Restart wait for checkdisk to finish
Hopefully you will see normal mode

Kimsland,

I tried your solution and at the last part I got the message that I couldnt run the application as Windows needed exclusive access to certain files. It asked me if I wanted run it when windows restarted. I said yes and hit restart. Now I can't even get into safe mode! When starting in safe mode, the computer hangs on windows\system32\drivers\app440.sys

Any help???

ok, just went with system recovery and started fine. Now I have downloaded all the updates, but upon downloading SP2 it freezes? what the @#$%??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back