TechSpot

Win XP Freezes on startup

By Ric2637
Jan 15, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on my PC, which has frozen during startup. It gets as far as the startup bar across the bottom of the screen followed by a very dim image of the Windows XP screen, but doesn't get any further. I then have to do a power down, after which (on starting again) I get the MS-DOS error screen message saying 'unfortunately there was an error during the last startup, please choose one of the following options' (or words to that effect.) If I choose to go back to the last known good configuration, I get the same result. Anyway, I restarted several times with the same result. The progress bar would move for about 10 seconds, then it would get ratchety and then finally freeze. I am able to startup OK in Safe Mode and connect to the internet.
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Start in Sfe mode
    Go to my computer
    Right click on C drive
    Properties
    Tools
    Check Now
    Tick top square
    Start
    OK YES OK

Restart wait for checkdisk to finish
    Hopefully you will see normal mode
  3. Ric2637

Ric2637 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Kimsland,

I tried your solution and at the last part I got the message that I couldnt run the application as Windows needed exclusive access to certain files. It asked me if I wanted run it when windows restarted. I said yes and hit restart. Now I can't even get into safe mode! When starting in safe mode, the computer hangs on windows\system32\drivers\app440.sys

Any help???
  4. kimsland

Do you mean AGP440.sys
    If so then refer to this Microsoft support page (with exact issue)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

Also as a simple first option, at the second of loading AGP440.sys can you press ESC on the keyboard, to see if it continues.
  5. Ric2637

ok, just went with system recovery and started fine. Now I have downloaded all the updates, but upon downloading SP2 it freezes? what the @#$%??
  6. kimsland

7. Ric2637

Ok, I will try that and see how it goes. Thanks for all your help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.