Win XP Home: System recovery disc is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear. I have really messed up my daughter's PC. I attempted to do a full system recovery of Windows XP Home edition - after all other options proved useless. I started well enough, installing the recovery discs I made when we first got the PC two years ago, but disaster struck on the fifth and final disc. The disc is missing and nowhere to be found.
The PC is now utterly stuck - it is expecting that fifth disc and cannot be persuaded out of it. I have no idea what to do next. Is my only option to purchase a new OS? Please say no as I have no money.
Can anyone help me? You'll have to speak slowly because I am not technically inclined. I would be forever grateful.

If you give us as many details as you can about your PC, (Model, Make, which OS with which Service Pack (if any), where you got it, etc.), perhaps someone may be willing to burn you a copy of their fifth disk, if they have the same setup as you.

It' a Compaq Presario S000/8000 series running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 with SP2 (I think). I purchased it from Morgan Computers (in the UK).
If I can't fix it with a donated disc, will I have to reinstall the OS?

Actually, I have now make recovery discs using another daughter's PC. Although they are supposed to be exactly the same make and model (purchased at the same time too) they are obviously set up differently because the disc-making process only required 2 discs.
I managed to access the BIOS menu and started again. But the recovery stalls over a few files and then stops completely.
Now that I have a complete set of recovery discs, can I use these to rebuild the first machine? If so, how do I clean out my earlier mess and start again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back