Win XP not installing a USB Card Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new install of Windows XP SP2 and trying to plug in a Sandisk Imagemate CF Reader. Win recognizes it but cannot install a working driver. I noticed also right after it recognizes the Reader, I also get an add USB Mass Storage Device notice. That goes away when I try to install the Reader. The Reader worked fine under Win ME on another computer. I tried a few different USB ports and had the same problem.

My setup:

AMD X2 4600
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
1 XFX 7800GT PCIe card
1gig Kingston HyperX RAM

I have the latest BIOS and chipset/video Nvidia drivers.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nodsu said:
"Cannot install a working driver" means what? That's the error message?

BTW, I have XP Pro SP2. When XP Pro looks for the driver and tries to install, I get a bad data error. It says something like data invalid, and then quits. When I check in the device manager, I get the yellow exclamation mark.

check MB site for just the usb drivers and dwnld them try uninstall what is there and reinstall
thats 2 boot ups

OK, so I tried a different Windows install. Had an old copy of Win XP Pro w/ SP1 only lying around. And I installed that then when I plugged in the Card reader, it instantly recognized it was a USB mass storage device and installed it directly. It did not ask me where I should look for the driver at all, and it worked.

So how come SP2 asks for the location of the driver. Can it be my SP2 has been corrupted?

could be
could be the newer drivers don't like the new mb bios or board itself
the spk1 may go hand in hand with the newer bios .
if you installed spk2 later I have known it to be picky
if there is malware spyware even firewalls that are on the system ,they don't even need to be enabled or running
an active port like the usb post or opwen network sytem can cause spk2 not to load everything properly, ie corruption
the size of the install itself is scary,
so I made a slipsteam copy and it has always worked fine

Just had an experience with a cardreader myself. A driver update from Windows Update corrupted the driver and the corresponding registry entries so bad only a system restore would fix it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back