WIN XP PRO can't format floppy disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

grammjr

Try as I might, I am not allowed by XP to format a floppy disk. I can read and write to floppies, but cannot format. It says it cannot access the drive and that I should close whatever program is using it. But no programs are using it. I was also having trouble reading floppies sometimes and so I bought a new :mad: floppy drive and it acted the same way.

This is probably the due to interference with some othe program, such as a virus scanner.

I think if you close all of your other programs, you will be able to format your floppy drive.

I have seen this before. In Explorer, first click on any harddisk to make that the current drive. Then RIGHTCLICK on the floppy (A:) and select Format.

By first clicking on A: and then trying to execute Format, you have already made A: the current drive, which is consequently blocked by the OS.

You might also have the power cord in backwards plugged into the drive. Check and make sure it and the ribbon are plugged in correctly.

Power cord is OK.
Tried selecting C: and then right clicking A: but did not work.
Turned off Norton AV and bingo.. I could format.
Could N AV also cause some floppied to appear to be unformatted even when they are? Could it make floppies unreadable while turned on? Is there a way around having to turn off AV to format?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back