Win XP Pro completely fails to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
System: Hassee Laptop
1.76ghz Intel Celeron
512MB DDR2 RAM
SiS onboard sound and graphics.
WinXP Pro

I'm having a problem with my laptop. Last night it was working 100%, then when I booted it up this morning... It wouldn't boot.

I get my BIOS splash screen, then a black screen with blinking DOS-style cursor. I can't f8 to get into safe mode, the only part of the computer I can access is the BIOS setup and the boot-order setup.

I'm frustrated because I only just got the computer set up the way I wanted it, and would really rather not have to re-install the whole OS.

Is there a boot-disk I can use?
My computer has no floppy, so ideally something I can put on a USB stick and boot from?
Once I've got it to boot, how can I fix it?

Why do you ask for a USB boot ? Instead of a CD boot option?

This actually sounds as though the hard disk is not being picked up.

I'd do the easy idea first:

Remove all power (Adaptor AND battery)
Hold down the start button for 30 secs (dispersing all voltage)
Put the adaptor back in (forget the battery for a moment)
Turn on

If it didn't work:

Unplug the power adaptor again (obviously battery still out)
Remove the Hard Drive (underneath some where, usually one screw - you may need the service manual)
Push the hard drive back in securely (just a quick push back in, all the way)
Put the power adaptor back in (forget the battery again)
Turn on

Did it work?
Please reply back!

Edit:

@ Zenosincks

TechSpot have one of those guides here-> https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=98544&highlight=system

kimsland said:
Why do you ask for a USB boot ? Instead of a CD boot option?

Because I don't have a CD burner available to burn any boot disk downloaded from the internet :D

The HDD idea is a good one, I do hear it click, but it doesn't speed up. I'll take a screwdriver to it right now. (My manual is in chinese... Wish me luck D: )

I'll report back asap, thanks so much!

Zenosincks said:
:) That's nice, but I prefer the guide I suggested.
Going to try yours next! The HDD-Jiggle didn't work, I removed the entire thing and replaced it and it still doesn't go.
Now I'll try the software fix :p

Plus, I can see my HDD in the BIOS, it's just not booting anything.

@Zenosincks

In either case, this is not a "System" missing file fault.
Are you actually meaning a Repair option?
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.win...pair/part3.htm

Well, if you're confident enough that you can see the inner boot process of a machine that's likely thousands of miles away from you, then fine, have it your way. I'm not saying it's definitely anything, merely suggesting a possible course of action that may or may not help.

I wasn't suggesting that the guide I linked contained instructions on how to run a repair installation nor was I confused with my statement. I was not wrong with my choice in words (repair installation).

Urm, I'm running the repair installation and that SEEMS (touch wood) to have worked, it boots and I haven't lost any data.

I really just wanted to ask you guys for some help, no need to bicker, both your ideas were great and helped me fix my computer! THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back