WIN XP Pro is not finding my slave hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you can help me in my problem I'm facing.

I really searched for it a lot and I tried ALL possible solutions which I found in most sites talking about this technical problem but still the problem not solved :mad:

I have explained the problem fully in the following address:

http://www.takamul.org/rami/Problem.htm

Thanks in advance,
Rami

this is because you have windows on TWO hard disks at the same time.

SATA drives are ALL master drives. 1 drive per channel.

Your OS is confused as to which drive is which and therefore defaults to channel 1.

The only solution is to format each drive and leave windows OFF one of the hard disks
You may lose data unless you swap out drives and move the data offline (like a zip drive, etc....)

Ofcourse if the both primary SATA Drives are connected in the same time then the whole machine will be confused which operating system will be run!

To be more clear, I'm using a hard drive RACK where I'm placing the primary SATA drive in. I'm using two different SATA where I'm placing WIN XP Pro on. Actually I'm using both of them BUT NOT IN THE SAME TIME OFCOURSE!! The purpose is one of them are for my personal use and the other one is for my friend. And both of them use the second (Slave) DRIVE shared where data and pictures are placed there!!

So when I want to use mine, simply I pull out my friends hard drive rack where all his software and programs and place my hard drive Rack inside the computer...

The problem that my hard drive can see the second drive (SLAVE) but when my friend's rack is placed the second is appearing in both partiton magic and disk management but NOT in my computer WHY?????????

So please help me..

Please Help, No Body Gave Me A Solution Untill Now

:hotbounce Please any one I'm realy in a bad situation because of this problem any one can help??

I am not positive , but the first scenario has 1 primary partition and 4 logical drives based from an extended drive.
When you pull the old drive and install the new one windows sees parts of the extended drive and a new drive that it has no rational for because the structure for the extended is still on the old drive which is not there.
Dynamic disks are structured out of RAid configuration . and you can place 2,4 disks in a raid Windows can see them all as one.
In your second pictures Windows is asking if you want to make a raid arrangement since it sees the other IDE channel as populated to it a dynamic disk structure is the only choice left.
I may not have explained this in a technological correct fashion , but I think that is what is going on.

not to familiar with partition magic
I use paragon partition manager same concept
if you notice the first shows drive c(0) as the system drive
now that is right
in the new config it shows J as the new system drive
you are mixing up a few thing in windows it shows drives as 0 and 1 in PM shows them as 1 and 2
if you have nothing on the drive in yellow and it seems this is the new drive just format it
I think you got mixed up some where and you put xp somewhere else
and as always sometimes it is easyer to install xp or any OS for that matter with only 1 drive in machine
so start fresh take out the 2nd drive keep it from getting foobarred
install your new primery sata and load xp
and thats my take untill someone can make this clearer

If I convert it to dynamic disk can I see it with the old hard disk. Moreover is this converting undoable? how can I undo if a problem occurs?

first change drive letter of J to C then format the other partition on that drive
reboot
when in reg explorer do youe see the other drive if so right click on it and under permissions security add your admin name
you need to get the drive to match other drive at least for trouble shooting

I don't think you need to convert to dynamic
some where I read you can convert one way but not the other
do search on M$ website listed under msdn tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back