Win XP Pro reboots when trying to playback video -- Error code 1000008e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy,

Been trying to figure this one out for about the last 3 weeks... starting to go a little crazy now! Anyone have any ideas what to try next?

The background goes like this:

First, it's an Aopen system, 3.2GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, 2 x 160GB HDD, w/All-In-Wonder video card supporting dual monitors.

The problem occurs anytime I try playing video -- whether it's a DVD or an .mpg file. The moment I try to play the video, the system reboots without warning. The problem is a hard failure in that it repeats 100% of the time (anytime I try to play any kind of video).

1. Since the last time I can remember successfully playing a video up until the problem appeared, I've installed 3 programs:

--> Deep Log Analyer (a program that analyzes Web logs)
--> Summary (also a program for analysing Web logs)
--> Icon Suite (a simple program for creating favicons)

Uninstalling these programs hasn't helped.

2. I checked XP's Event Viewer and it initially reported this error:
"The mrtRate service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."

3. I Googled the error message and found a couple of posts, all of which point to a conflict with Quicken. They say that mrtRate belongs to a Quicken update download checker running in the background. Here's one such post:

http://www.ureader.com/message/1242597.aspx

And here's a Microsoft support article dealing with the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;810905

I followed the directions in the article and disabled the MrtRate driver.

I rebooted and tried again, and the same error occurred -- the system restarted the moment I tried to play a DVD.

But this time round, the error message changed. Here's what it now reads:

Source: System Error
Category: (102)
Type: Error
Description: Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bfcf9707, parameter3 b7ae199b, parameter4 00000000.

I tried Googling this error but didn't have any luck resolving it.

Any ideas where to turn next?

Thanks much,

Tim

etones said:
how u tryed system restore

etones -- I've yet to try System Restore. I've heard a lot of scary stories about people trying to use it and ending up with more problems afterwards. Though maybe I'm getting to the point where I'll need to give it a try.

Thanks,

Tim

etones -- Right you are! Problem solved!

etones said:
ive used it 100s of times, its always worked for me
You were right eTones!

I was able to track down the date (in my Nero logs) of the last time my video playback functions were working, used System Restore to restore the system back to its state on that date, and *viola* -- the video playback functions are working once again.

To think that all along I've been discounting this handy little tool.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back