Win XP Pro - Retrieve Data in My Documents Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help!

A month ago I discovered a minor virus on my system and following Symantec directions was removing it. When I went to put the computer into Safe Mode though, the windows install of XP Pro completely crashed. I tried to repair the install using the discs, but it turned out that my brother (who originally set up the system 1.5 years ago) had forgotten what administrator password he'd used to install it. So instead I did a parallel install of XP Pro on my second harddrive. That install works fine and I haven't lost any of the data on my system.

The original C: drive install had two profiles on it (and were password protected, but I know both passwords), and I can access the My Documents data for one of them, but not for the other. So here's the problem, all of my personal files which I really need are in the second My Documents folder. When I try to access it through the D: drive Windows install it just says it's not accessible and that access is denied.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Ali

Welcome deadgecko. The folks here are very knowledgeable, so if this doesn't help, I'm sure someone here will. I saw a post here a while ago that gave this information to override the adminstrator password. I don't know if it really works, but it can't hurt to try. Here it is:

On the logon screen, hold CTRL+ALT and press DEL twice. Then as the user, put Administrator. Leave the password blank.

Hope it works! Good Luck!

You can take ownership of these files as follows:
Boot XP into Safe Mode (Press F8 a few times when starting up) as an administrator. Now use Explorer to go to the folders etc. on your old-drives, right-click them, select Properties, click the Security tab and click OK if a security message pops up. Click Advanced, then Owner tab. In the Name list select your (administrator's) name. Mark the Replace Owner on subcontainers and objects check box. Click OK, Yes and OK.

For taking ownership of files, rightclick them, Security tab, Advanced, Owner tab. In Name list select Administrator or Admin-group and click OK. Click Add and in the "Enter the object...list" type a user or group account or Administrator. Click OK. In the group or user name list, click the account you want (e.g. Administrator), then tick the check boxes for permissions, e.g. Full Control [Allow].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back