Win XP Pro SP2 - random restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerTender

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to this board, because my G**gle-searches for my Windows problem took me here.

Last week I bought new components for a new PC. These are as follows:

Motherboard ASUS P5VD2-MX
Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core processor
1 GB DDR2 RAM (Aeneon DDR2 533 MHz, 1 Module)
DVD-burner LG GSA-H10N
Hard disk Samsung SP1614N (160 GB, 7200 rpm, 8 MB cache)
400 W power supply

After an all-new installation of Windows XP SP2, I have the problem that my computer randomly restarts without any notice. It jumps from Windows directly to the POST-screen of the BIOS and restarts again - even after disabling this function at the "My computer" properties. Not even a blue screen is being shown. It also appears that the built-in LAN controller seems to be very slow (download rates far below 240 KB/s DSL speed, although other computer on same line downloads full speed from same source).

I have several dump files from these crashes, but do not know how to read them. The only hint I have is the "System Error" code, which once was 10000050 and 5 times 100000d3. I've updated every single device driver as well as the BIOS and the DVD-burner's firmware.

Can anyone help me with this issue ?

Thank you !

Regards,
Daniel

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

4 of your minidumps are corrupt and unreadable.

2 crash at ntkrpamp.exe. This is the Windows nt and kernel system file. They have a bugcheck of 50.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Your problem may be caused by faulty ram.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Howard,

thanks for the quick response. Since all parts of the PC are brand-new, there is no dust or dirt in the computer case.

Memtest86+ (DOS-Version) is currently running on the machine and I'm curious about the results.

With respect to overheating : what temperatures are normal for a Pentium D CPU ? At low CPU usage, the motherboard monitor shows a CPU temperature of 50 - 52 degrees (Celsius), at high CPU usage (DVDShrink in high priority mode, downloading a 200 MB file and performing a virus check on the hard disk) a temperature of max. 70 degrees. I hope this is in the normal range.

I'll get back when I have results of Memtest86+, but nevertheless I've ordered some new RAM from a different manufacturer at Amazon - just in case Memtest finds any errors.

Thanks again for the quick response. I hope we get this fixed - it's quite frustrating having a brand-new PC which is not working properly.

Regards,
Daniel

Those temps do seem a little on the high side.

Does you computer reboot any old time, or just when you`re doing something that`s cpu intensive?

Regards Howard :)

I do not have the feeling that high CPU usage is affecting the restarts. Yesterday, during the very intensive testing phase, the system ran 1 hour without any problems - Task Manager showed 100% CPU usage on both CPUs. Just when DVDShrink had finished ripping and ejected the DVD, the system locked up.

I might be wrong, but I would expect the restart within the 100% usage period - especially when running 1 hour.

Daniel

I agree, your restarts don`t seem to be related to your cpu temps.

As I said, it may be a ram problem, or possibly an underpowered psu. How many amps does your psu put out on the 12volt rail? This info should be on the psu label.

Thanks for your patience. I will open the computer case later on. After one hour and 2 passed tests there is no error shown.

Not the worst sign so far, is it?

Update: 5 passed tests, 0 errors found. I'm getting tired now (23:00 CET), so I hope that the remaining 2 tests are not absolutely necessary in order to determine if the RAM is faulty.

What do you think about the problem with the LAN adapter ? Does it fit to the restarting issue or do you think that this is an absolutely different problem (or, maybe, is this the evidence that the mainboard seems to be damaged) ???

Thanks for your help, I'm pretty sure to fix the problem with your assistance.

Kind regards from Germany
Daniel

The problem at the moment is four of your six minidumps were corrupted and unreadable. That in itself is a sign of faulty ram or underpowered psu. Some faulty ram can pass Memtest, so just because your ram seems to have passed, doesn`t necessarily mean it`s not the culprit.

I`d still like to know how many amps your psu gives on the 12volt rail.

Of course, if you get any further minidumps, please post them.

Depending on your full system specs, 19amps on the 12volt rail may not be enough, particularly if your psu is a no name brand.

Take a look at this Psu wattage calculator and see what it recommends, remember to add a further 30% to whatever figure it gives for overheads and upgrades.

Good quality psu`s are brands like Antec/Fortron/Enermax etc.

One more thing - I have this "Asus PC Probe" tool which monitors the mainboard and CPU, and there are several values like Vcore (should be 1,20 / is 1,25), +3,3 (is 3,35), +5,0 (is 5,0) and +12V (is 11,58 !).

Could this be the problem ?

Regards, Daniel

Just had another lock-up, without doing anything (just focused on my laptop).
Enclosed please find the dump.

PS: CPU temp. was at 46 C so I would not assume that overheating may be the problem.

Regards,
Daniel

Your minidump crashes at regspy.sys. See HERE for further info. Apparently this is a known issue. The owning process is vsserv.exe, again this is part of your antivirus programme.

Maybe changing or updating your antivirus programme may solve this particular problem.

The free AVG antivirus programme is very good as is the free Zonealarm or the free Kerio firewall programmes. Just Google for these.

So you think I could easily fix this problem by de-installing BitDefender ? Or is this just fixing this particular crash ?

BTW: the wattage calculator says that the psu should provide 219 W (as said I selected the Pentium D as a Single CPU). Since I only use the on-board-graphics card with shared memory and have no additional PCI cards (I assume the on-board LAN, sound etc. do not count as PCI cards), the power consumption should not be extraordinary high.

Daniel

I`m just pointing out the reason for that particular crash. Add to that, it is a known issue and maybe changing your antivirus programme will help.

Also, if your happy that your psu is ok, then we`ll have to look at other possibilities as above.

I will un-install BitDefender right now, I just can't believe that "corrupt" software crashes a PC like that !

Have you seen the latest dump ?

Thank you so much Howard.

Your last minidump crashes with memory corruption. Faulty ram?

All antivirus programmes use drivers, it is these that sometimes become corrupt or simply conflict with something else, or perhaps the drivers are just flakey.

Howard,

guess what ? No restarts or lock-ups today. The system is running stable for more than 3 hours now - which was not possible before deleting BitDefender. I am currently running Avira AntiVir Personal Edition, a freeware virus program which is quite good.

Again, thanks a lot for your help, patience and knowledge. You saved my weekend :)

Many greetings from Germany
Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back