Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

I always hated XP's search interface...

Win-XP Search Assistant silently downloads files
By Thomas C Greene in Washington
Posted: 11/04/2002 at 20:47 GMT

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24815.html

Just over a week ago, while searching for a file on a Windows-XP machine, I was surprised to see the Search Assistant attempting to activate my Internet connection. It puzzled me because I wasn't searching the Internet, only my local drive. I was busy with other things at the time, but I made a mental note to look into it soon, which I promptly forgot to do.

This morning, Reg reader Jody Melbourne rattled my cage, fresh from having made the same discovery. He'd noticed that the Assistant was establishing a connection with a machine at Microsoft.

"I did not give Microsoft permission to know what files I am searching for on my local hard-drive," Jody wrote.

Indeed, and neither had I. So I connected an XP box to my ISP, started a packet sniffer, and launched the Search Assistant. Sure enough, it immediately connected to http://sa.windows.com/ and fetched a number of files. But it didn't attempt to send any data to the site, beyond comparing my locally-stored versions of those files to the ones on the server.

But when I performed an Internet search, the Assistant sent my search terms to the Microsoft site, and also dropped a session cookie on my machine.

You see, this is one of the few problems of these "always on" broadband internet connections like cable.... Who knows that its doing when you are not using it??? Sometimes I see that cable modem activity light going for no apparent reason and I have to wonder just what the hell is going on.

You might think that your machine is your best friend, but unless you actually programmed the software on it yourself, its potentially one of your worst enemies. This is where the appeal of a lot of operating systems like Linux lies: it might be harder to install, but you have a lot more control about what goes on there. You can even look at the source code if you like.

Imagine the public outcry if it was discovered that your hi-fi was secretly talking to a marketting company, telling it what music you liked to listen to. Or that your fridge was telling the local supermarket what food you liked. Or that your car was telling the local police station about everywhere that you went, how long you stayed, and who travelled with you.

I am of the opinion that, much in the same sense that Microsoft's bundling of their browser into the OS was finally looked into at the very highest levels, so a lot of the underhanded tricks of adware, spyware and indeed a lot of the stuff written into Windows itself will eventually become the subject of scrutiny by higher powers.

I feel like I am fighting a loosing battle where my own machine, which I built with my own hands, is being used against me. Its time that we all, as netizens, got together to do something about all this.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
You see, this is one of the few problems of these "always on" broadband internet connections like cable.... Who knows that its doing when you are not using it??? Sometimes I see that cable modem activity light going for no apparent reason and I have to wonder just what the hell is going on.

That would be me and my cable modem. :( Things like this just don't surprise me anymore. Microsoft will do anything to spy on their own users by any means possible. It is a sad yet inevitable conclusion.

Maybe, just MAYBE MS (and other companies that are using this method) are using the data they collect to perform market surveys? :D

I have cable too and went one step further when I am not at my computer. Go into your "Network Connections" and view the one you use most on the 'net. Then make a check in the box that says "Display Icon for this", then make a shortcut on the Desktop, ( I actually keep mine in Quick launch). Then when you are done, disable the connection. It takes a few days to get use to but now I do it like I use to use dial up. Now when I am not here, my computer can't go off on its own....

Originally posted by lokem
Maybe, just MAYBE MS (and other companies that are using this method) are using the data they collect to perform market surveys? :D

I'll admit that that it a possibility, but with Microsoft's past history I find it highly unlikely. This is just my two cents of course though. Monopolies like Microsoft are always corrupt in some way or the other it just hasn't been unvieled yet. Call me paranoid, but this is my idealogy.

No doubt MS's tactics have been criticised and condemn since the beginning of time and I don't like what they're doing as well.

Somehow this is the beginning of a whole new way of how MS will be profiting from selling the data obtained this way to research and marketing companies to obtain demographics in consumers behaviour.

Hope nothing else is monitored.. Blech...

Welcome to the twilight zone.

This is just an extension of the .NET stratgy/mindset.
Certainly, you don't mind, if they decide that you need more files. They KNOW what good for YOU! And you won't mind when next they resell your extra CPU cycles/ drive space, cause they KNOW what's good for you. (and they need the money!) And you really won't mind when the computer YOU payed for, using their software that YOU payed for, becomes unusable to YOU, due to them consuming all they resources,memory, drive space, CPU cycles for their needs.
After all, They know what's good for you!

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Aren't there any programs that could block these unwanted up/downloads? Some firewalls?

There certainly are. Most personal firewalls in the market will actually deny access to all apps by default to net access. Question is, how many pple actually bother with such a program? :)

Originally posted by lokem
That's more like treating computer users as dummies...
Geez, someone else noticed it, too. Operating systems designed for three-year-olds, programmed by three-year-olds.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

Geez, someone else noticed it, too. Operating systems designed for three-year-olds, programmed by three-year-olds.

Heh... That's what MS wants us to feel with the "new and improved" XP UI {g}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back