win xp start button has squares

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a big problem my computer is really messed up, I mean it boots up fine until it gets into windows, then instead of saying start where the start button is it has some small squares, same thing with the clock, then the monent I move the mouse it frezzes and shuts down.
im running an old AMD sempron 3000+ with 512mb ram, 80 gig HD on a asus mobo and a geforce 5200fx.
I have a clean install with no programs exept the basics (office ect.)
I really have no idea whats going on any help will be apreciated

Since Office isn't part of the 'basics' you must have had it running OK at some point.

When did the GUI start to fail? After you installed the graphics card drivers? After they were updated?

Can you boot in Safe Mode and uninstall the graphics drivers and try a pure VGA boot?

it only ran right for about a month and then it started frezzing every once in a while especialy when I wached movies but with a reboot I could keep working until I did too much like messanger and surfing the net at the same time, but at least I could move the mouse.
I tried with a dif video card but the same thing happend.
when it really got crazy was right after I installed messanger then the whole screen whent crazy and flashed and blinked and then the computer just shut off. after that when I rebooted the above mentiond happend

Your mobos screwed up ill bet.

Are you using a single PCI-E slot? if not, plug your video card into an alternative slot.

If you have only one slot, and/or only an AGP slot, try plugging a video card into a PCI slot.

Contact the seller or maker of your motherboard and allow them to scan it or replace it. May users wait too long thinking it is their problem... when it is just a bad board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back