Win XP Startup BSOD

By Syphax
Dec 12, 2006
  1. Hiya everybody, I'm new to these forums so I apologise if I am posting in the wrong section or for any poor explanation of my problem.

About a week ago I began getting messages just after I got to the desktop saying 'Windows has recovered one or more startup registry files using a backup. The recovery was successful'. These came up everytime the computer restarted until one day it started loading the desktop and then it cut to a BSOD and rebooted. It did the same thing when it began to load the desktop again and kept on looping like this until I booted it up in Safe Mode. I did a system restore and then the computer loaded up normally fine. Then the same thing happened until eventually system restore stopped fixing the problem.

This happened a day or two ago. I have now found out that the BSOD code was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x8056e2a2, 0xf3a3b990, 0x00000000)

I did some digging and then uninstalled my sound card drivers. The problem went away, woohoo. I then tried installing some more up-to-date drivers for my Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card and the problem immediatly returned. I uninstalled the drivers, took out the card, still the problem comes around. I installed some drivers for my on-board sound and still the BSOD keeps on coming round.

I ran some tests on my hard drive and memory and nothing came up as being at fault. So I then updated my graphics drivers for my Nvidia Geforce 6600. I installed these and rebooted. Now I no longer see the BSOD, but the PC still reboots now just before it gets to the desktop and this loops round and round until I go back to safe mode. However, now when I look at the Event Viewer, the code has changed to:

0x1000007e (0xc0000005, 0xee010a03, 0xf88ee9cc, 0xf88ee6c8)

I'm using an AMD Athlon XP 3200, 512mb RAM, 250gb HD and 256mb Geforce 6600.

I'm at a complete loss. I feel that the Minidumps may help solve my problem, but I have no way of opening them. If there is anyone who can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the long post, I was not sure what information was relevant or not.

Thanks a lot.

- Syphax
  2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Find all the minidumps in system root, or do a search for them (search *.dmp) and then zip then up and post them here, I or someone will have a look at them for you, but bear with me/us if we dont reply straight away, I only come in here in the evening.

3. Syphax

Syphax TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your reply. The zip file came to a bigger size than I could upload here so I put it on -

Any help would be appreciated

- Syphax
  4. Syphax

Syphax TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've found when I make changes to the system, XP is able to load normally without going to a BSOD. For instance, I updated my BIOS and when I started the PC everything loaded up fine. I received 5 or 6 'Windows has recovered from a serious error' messages, which I expect is the back-log of the messages that haven't been able to come up in Safe Mode after a BSOD. As soon as I rebooted though, it immediatly sent me to a BSOD at logon. The same thing happened when I removed my sound card. XP was able to load up fine, I received a few of the 'serious error' messages but as soon as the PC rebooted, the problem started happening again.

I am stumped. I could just wipe the hard drive, but I would quite like to know what is causing the problem in order to stop it happening again.

- Syphax
  5. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

A lot of the dumps, including the most recent, have the following error. You may have more than one problem, but see this THREAD for the error below.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 8056e2a2, ee0de990, 0}
    Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt!HvpGetCellMapped+5f )
  6. cpc2004

cpc2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,994

Crashing at nt!HvpGetCellMapped+5f is usually related to software hive corruption (ie the registry is corrupted). Check system event log and look for system event 1517. If you find them, it is software hive corruption.

Procedure to repair Hives
    1. Export the registry for backup purpose
    2. XP registry editor has an inbuilt feature to repair corruption of Hives.
  7. seanieb64

seanieb64 TS Rookie

I agree with cpc, You may also want to even try running a registry repair tool, such as RegistryMechanic if the problem he states exists.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.