TechSpot

Win XP stupid mistake - How do you turn video back on?

By cooper
Feb 14, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My son wanted to change the video driver from the Win XP display control panel. He thought if you selected "don't use this driver" from the drop down it would default to the second (radon video card driver) installed. After that selecting that menue option the message comes up in order for this change to take effect you have to reboot, etc.

Well when he rebooted, you guessed it, no display. There is nothing wrong with Windows or the PC, except that you can't see anything. So I'm assuming the system defaulted to no video driver. I wanted to find out if anyone knew of any way to get the video turned back on without having to reload the entire system again.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Lunatic

Lunatic TS Rookie Posts: 66

You should be able to go into safe mode and fix it that way.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,536   +301

Hit F8 a few times after the POST screen, before the Windows splash screen. It will give you the list of options such as boot into safe mode and such. Choose VGA mode. Windows will boot up normally so you aren't limited like you are in safe mode. Then just install the correct driver for your card, reboot and all is fixed.
  4. luvhuffer

luvhuffer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 638

Don't be too harsh with the boy. A mild beating will suffice! <G>
  5. ovvn.you

ovvn.you TS Rookie Posts: 122

using vga mode as suggested by SNGX1275 will most definitely work, but to install the drivers for your video card if by radon you meant ati radeon, its gonna be a *****, because the default vgasave is very hard to turn off. try this thread http://www.subwolf.org/v2/articles.php?article=1 and if it doesnt help then i know of nothing else
  6. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Why did you need to reply to a year old thread ?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.