Win XP won't shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

boeingfixer

Hey gang,

I have 2 questions for all the XP fans.

1. When I goto shut down XP, sometimes it logs off then just sits there with the windows screen. Nothing happens.

2. This may have to be posted elseware, If it does shut down, as in I elected to "Turn off computer" NOT "Reboot", when the machine does log off and turn off, my computer shuts down then imediatley turns right back on and starts to reboot again ???

Any ideas. Thanks a mil gang !!

I had a problem with it not shutting down - i think it was caused by some programs in my systray not getting on with winxp.

But then again I have formatted since, and haven't got everything reinstalled.

This definitely sounds like a program your running doesn't like XP. I haven't had this problem, but have heard of it happening to others. I would try closing certain programs and trying to pinpoint exactly which one is giving you problems.

Get back to us on your progress! :)

You are probably right, I shut down last night with my raid set up, which is a new install with nothing added...just XP and it shut down fine.

Now can anyone answer the second part ? Why does my computer just wanna reboot itself after I shut down ??

Have you installed all the latest raid controller drivers, latest bios, etc.??? Sounds like something in your bios might be set wrong...Just a thought though not really sure

What I mean is are you using software shutdown? or just hitting the power or keyboard button?
Also check your bios and or control panel for the restart after power failure.
If using software shutdown, try toggling to the restart option, reboot once, then reset it to "off"

Originally posted by T-Shirt
What I mean is are you using software shutdown? or just hitting the power or keyboard button?
Also check your bios and or control panel for the restart after power failure.
If using software shutdown, try toggling to the restart option, reboot once, then reset it to "off"

I am using software, start,log off, turn off pc. However, I think you just found my problem, I do have it set to power back on after a power loss. I had completely forgot about that in the BIOS. I have been overlooking that for awhile now. i would have thought it smart enough to know the difference between a power loss and power down, guess I am wrong.

Thanks T-shirt, your the best. ;)

Thanks SuperCheetah, I went into my BIOS and did some checking and rechecking, I found the setting about power on after failure and disabled it. I had forgotten when I set up my raid, I cleared the bios because of a mix up with my CPU and forgot to check EVERY header to see what I needed to reset.

Again Thanks a MIL!!

No problem boeingfixer! ;)

I've done the same thing before. After clearing the CMOS I forgot the reset some settings and my computer went haywire, and before I had realized what I have done I was forced to reformat. Not fun! :)

Anyways, everyone remember to always reset your BIOS setting after clearing the CMOS or you might end up like I did, but hopefully not!

Glad I could help!!!

Originally posted by SuperCheetah

Anyways, everyone remember to always reset your BIOS setting after clearing the CMOS or you might end up like I did, but hopefully not!

Glad I could help!!!

And if I might add to what Super just said, PLEASE PLEASE, check and recheck everything. It is always the simple things that will keep you pulling your hair out or throwing a keyboard out of the room....been there done that... ;)

Power Options

Hello everyone all you need to do is go into power options under control panel and check you power schemes and make sure its set to Home/Office Desk. If t set to Always On then thats why you cant shut down. it will keep rebooting. It's nothing in the CMOS.

The MCSE DUDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back