TechSpot

Win xp won't start

By bison
Feb 16, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys,
    I have been running winxp since it was first released with no problems, and had all the current updates.
    Recently it started crashing occasionally, and coming up with the message: windows has recovered from a serious error....I figured it was time for a reformat, and clean out the system. This worked fine and ran with no problems for 2-3 weeks. Yesterday I got the same error message, so I tried to run a scandisk on reboot - but I couldn't reboot. I ran chkdsk and found errors, but this made no difference to the reboot. Eventually I had to reinstall windows over the top of the old one, but the boot is still locking up at the same stage (under safe mode, it is at driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys).
    Occasionally the boot works if I click the F8 option "Use the last known configuration that worked" - but only occasionally. I expect that my harddrive is on the way out - can anyone confirm or debunk this?
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

I read in another post, that perhaps you should try to flash your BIOS, that seemed to sort the mup.sys problem.
    Go to the Storage forum and get the HD-manufacturer's util to test your HD.
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html
  3. bison

bison TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your help - seems my hard drive is on its last legs.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.