Win2000 LPR / SMC Print Server Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently upgraded my wired SMC router to a wireless model with a USB print server. All my prior experience with SMC made this an easy choice and both the wirless and the router aspects work perfectly. However, after several long calls to the SMC help desk entailing replacing printer drivers, router firmware, redoing the setup, etc, the LPR print server still does not work reliably. The symptoms are: after a clean system restart, the first job to the print server works without hitch. The next try usually results in a router re-boot, after which the the print server is hosed. Stangely, sometimes, if I shut down and restart the printer, one or more of the hung up print jobs will print.

I suspect the SMC2804WBRP_G router firmware is at fault, but I am also suspect of the Win2000 LPR protocol implementation. The printer (an HP Deskjet952C) works perfectly on both the parallel (LPT1) and USB (USB001) ports and I can switch between them at will, using different printer instantiations.

If anyone has experience with this problem or any thoughts about a fix, I'd appreciated hearing from you.

Thanks
Jack

If you are using the latest firmware try an older issue.Also I recall a 'spooler' issue at Microsoft Knowledge I will try and find it later I must leave right now.Tell us if you have any luck.

Thanks for the response - I've worked the issue with SMC Tech Support and they confirm my firmware and setup are fine - so the only thing left (other than a hardware issue - which SMC will resolve with a replacement router later this week) is the Win 2000 LPR / spooler. I located a MS reference http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;132460
which is pretty intense. but it looks like it might provide some info. Any additional guidance would be appreciated.

I use a Netgear PS110 printserver (for 2 parallel printers), attached to my router by Cat5 cable. Checking in the printer-properties (in W2K/SP4), I see that it uses a "Lan Manager Printer Port", which was presumably installed by the Netgear software.
In my setup I use fixed IPs all the way, incl. the printserver. Perhaps that makes it easier to control.
Maybe an alternative to your setup?

realblackstuff

I don't think I have the option to use a unique IP address for the SMC print server because it is integrated into the router and shares the router's IP address (probably on a different port number or "socket"). And yes, your "Lan ... Port" was probably installed by the Netgear software. Check the configuration of your port (Printer properties/Ports/Configure Port) and see if it's using the LPR protocol or if it's set to "Raw".

Thanks for the input.

It wont let me look in "Configure Port" ( all 3 buttons are grayed out) but under the tab "Advanced" under Print Processor, it says it uses te "WinPrint" processor in "RAW" format.
Probably these fields/buttons are disabled by Netgear.

HTH

That's the problem with Windows - every vendor has a different implementation to do the same function - and they probably each have their own quirks!

I prefer individual gadgets rather than a combo. I use a Billion Bipac 640AE router from www.billion.com.tw
Has everything you want in it, 4-port 10/100, firewall, vpn, nat, BIOS updatable, etc. and best of all, a really nice, effective service-crew in Taiwan, that reads and answers your email.
They made a special BIOS for me personally when I had an issue with it.
Bought it through www.komplett.ie

115289 Billion Broadband Gateway 10/100 Mbps
- BIPAC-640AE, w/4pcs 10/100 LAN Euro 42.35 incl. VAT

I've been reading up on the subject. The LPR protocol is used with the Print Services for UNIX. Are you sure you use the right protocol?

Yeah, that's correct. Windows made their own implmentation of the protocol and SMC uses it to send IP packets to their print server.

If I were you, I would ditch that router, using such an off-the-wall protocol!
This print-service is normally installed on PCs that are used as print servers!
You need to set the "TCP/IP Print Server" service (a.k.a. LPDSVC, pgm is Tcpsvcs.exe) to start automatically.
You set up an LPR port in the printer's properties by clicking Ports/add port/LPR port/new port. Unix clients then connect to the printer using the Line Printer Daemon (LPD) service.

I'm afraid this is the end of my (book-)info.

Looks like folks are none too happy with your router:
http://www.wirelessmojo.com/shop/item-electronics-B000117DBW-SMC,BARROCADE,WRLS,CBL/DSL,ROUTER(,SMC2804WBRP_G,).html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back