WIN2000 Pro, Where's my MSCONFIG GONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of things on this thread, firstly recently installed WIN2000 and found this excellant site, so I start to use the information and trys to start up MSCONFIG but I get the error message "Cannot find the file 'MSCONFIG' (or one of it's components. Make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available". Great what now!

So apart from the tweaks (and that gaming issues) I'm really glad I upgraded, but periodically my keyboard and mouse crash and the system hangs.
I've got AVG 7.0 and do regular checks, I use ZoneAlarm and AdAware, if I reboot (crash out) and reboot, (no blue screen, or W2K version) then they both work fine, I get round it as I plug in a USB mouse now so at least I can do a couple of things and I don't crash out, but annoying, it is.
Any idea's?

Gazmaz, I also run W2K Pro/SP4 with a Logitech corded KB and a cordless optical Logitech MX700 mouse, using the standard W2K PS/2 drivers. My PC also occasionally freezes mouse and keyboard simultaneously, and only a reset will bring it back to life.

Until last week I had Norton System Works 2002 installed. I uninstalled it completely (a pig of a job!), and installed the free AVG. Since then my system runs much faster and I have had only 1 freeze-up since. Maybe there is still some Norton-s..t around that I missed.
Did you ever have Norton on your PC?

No Norton has not been near my PC, so it cannot be the remnants of that.
I have AVG 7.0 which has been installed from W2K conversion, I have a feeling, and it's only a feeling that ZoneAlarm may have something to do with it, but that is pure speculation, there does not seem to be anything that I do which initiates the problem, other than trying to use the keyboard!

Don't forget you can use services.msc also - gives you access to your services that are running - but be careful here. You'll have much more access than you did in msconfig. Also, check your startup folder on your start menu. There are other areas you could check but I don't feel very comfortable telling you to go there. The registry under HKLM\sftw\msft\win\current\lclmach\run is a dangerous place to poke around - but will give you even more control over what starts up.

Gaz
I don't know what you want to do with msconfig but I have found that the Administrative tools in Win2k much more productive as they are designed for 2k and are very extensive.Much more reading but worth it to me .Remember msconfig was designed for 98 architecture and is not capable of many things in 2k.

BTW Real ;
When you removed NSW did you use the removal tools availible at Symantec web site. Your suspicions are correct Norton leaves a lot of buried crap around .It took me hours to get it, especially in the registry.
Also I don't have the cordless mouse but I use Logitech kb and trackball.I had no freezes after loding Logitechs proprietary software .
Just a thought
your quote"
Until last week I had Norton System Works 2002 installed. I uninstalled it completely (a pig of a job!), and installed the free AVG. Since then my system runs much faster and I have had only 1 freeze-up since. Maybe there is still some Norton-s..t around that I missed.
Did you ever have Norton on your PC? [/QUOTE]

Thankyou for your pointers I shall use the newer programs for admin.

New Question, why should SERVICES.EXE be taking high 90's CPU time?!?

Ok so I've run a virus check AVG 7.0, I've run AdAware 6 cookies nothing special, deleted them, services still running really high, even after a change on the priority, although now other programs have taken over some of the CPU time, but when they stop it's back up there.
I've rebooted and now SERVICES.EXE is at (where I think it should be) 0% CPU time. The PC has been running all day, any idea's why it (SERVICES.EXE) would be running that high?

Gazmaz:
On this website: http://www.blackviper.com (also blkviper.com) I found a complete list of all the W2K services and explanations in PDF format. Look for W2K Pro Service Configurations

Liquid:
First I used Norton uninstall, but that did bugger-all. I had to download a couple of special Norton uninstallers/cleaners AND follow instructions on loads and loads of Norton web-pages.
I swear, if I never see another Norton program again, it will be too soon!

zone alarm

GazMaz, I think Zone Alarm is the culprit. On my new computer it caused a few problems, so I had to get rid of it. have you tried getting rid of zone alarm yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back