win2k cd-rom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I just finished doing a clean install w/updates of win 2k. Problem is when I boot up and search my computer folder it doesnt show my cd-rom, the cd-rom does show in the bios. When I go to control panel and add hardware, it goes through its search for plug and play devices. Not finding any it displays a list of installed hardware and ask which I am having a problem with. I find my cd-rom, click on it, it says device working fine and transfers me to the troubleshooting screen. Getting no relief from the troublshooter I go back to my computer folder only to find I now see my cd-rom. There is obviously something I have missed, so I have tried the repair option on win2k and have even gone as far as re-format re-install of win2k with same results.

Would one of you fine gentlemen or ladies be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for taking your time to do so.

Jay aa9yp

Reformatting your HDD will not resolve this issue.

Ensure your jumper settings in the back of the CDROM is setup correctly.
Once jumper is placed correctly, make sure the IDE cable is seated properly.
Then reboot, go to bios and make sure its enabled as autodetect. Then make sure your BIOS is enabled as PNP OS, this may or may not be a option in your BIOS settings.

Then install any software that might have came with the Drive

Mine had exactly the same problem. After going around in circles, tweaking this and that...what solve the problem is still the "poor man's repair technique" = Reformat. It took 3 session to finally solve this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back