win2k everlasting boot progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've got one machine here with win2ksp4.
when it shows the progress bar... then it'll shows that forever.
i've done the repairs (win2k cd) except fix the master boot records.
what should i do?
the RAM is SD 128...

I am a regular user of W2k, but I am not understanding what you are telling me...

Is it just slow... or does it stop all together?

What antivirus and which antispyware are yu using?

One problem with W2K is that a lot of the security software doesn't really work on it well anymore because Microsoft says it is "No Longer Supported"

Tell us more about where you have installed it... computer, or motherboard, and other configuration details... cable vs telephone or DSL... and so on. And what your security software is... age, age of hard drive, how long OS has been installed.

win2k sp4

dell optiplex GX 150

12b sd ram

20 GB pata hdd

52x cd rom

installed for 3 years

when comes to progress bar of win2k (black and whit screen) before passes to win2k boot it will stuck there forever..

avg free 7.5

My guess is your hard drive is going bad. For all brands and models except Toshiba drives, you can go to the manufacturer's web site and download their drive fitness tests to quickly learn if it is going bad or has other problems. Also look at the S.M.A.R.T results.

I am a bit dumb so I don't know what 12b sd ram is, but you need more ram to run W2K well with SP4. The continual updates provide so much bloat that the system cannot survive it.

And finally, you might want to take another look at your security by runnning an outside scan for infestations such as Virus, Spyware, and the like... Being aware that a lot of the antivirus and Antispyware companies no longer support Windows 2000. Try, also, Spybot and Adaware 2007.

Then download and run HiJack This latest version and see what is reported there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back