win2k & IE6 = slow internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
win2k&IE6&slow internet

FNG on deck:
Will try to make this as short as possible, am going nuts.
Set up: New Dell 4100, 1.2Ghz, 512ram,Win2k, IE6.
From Dell, upgraded to IE6 as internet was slow, constant resets of the modem. Old computer (toshiba using win95 & xircom pccard) no problem. Tried using old xircom pccard but no joy, same as internal modem on Dell 4100, slow internet-way,way slow with constant drop outs and resets of traffic flow.
Installed Netscape latest and Opera latest now no problem...49kb/s-56kb/s without interruptions. Ok...I can live with that although have to sacrifice active X support and inebillity to save web pages intact as in IE. So now for a Virus program.
Used to use Pccillin...upgraded to Pccillin 2000 and it locked up ALL browsers, no in/out put at all. Ok...no problem, I have a registerd version of Mcafee also, will just download from Mcafee...no way...why? Mcafee requires IE and my IE will not work well enough to redownload purchased program.
So main problem is to sort out why IE6 will not work well with WIN2K.
Note: have reinstalled Win2k & IE6 and dowloaded all updates (an extemely painful process due to slow IE5.5 speed) 3 times. Have tried different forums/URL's etc for tweaks or hints to the problem(s) no joy. Can Anyone help? Will be your friend! There is something basic here that I am not getting, to make IE6 work properly with Win2K, any help please.
Rad

Rats, still no suggestion posts,
Ok will narrow it down a bit.
Anyone know what would cause IE6 (with all upgrades downloaded) not to function properly over a dial up? I can download files at a good rate, but web browsing is very slow due to intermittent stop/start of packet transfers.
A side note: I orginally had Pccillin 2002 loaded, but none of my browsers would work so uninstalled and loaded Mcafee. Could Pccillin have done something to IE6/Win2k to make IE6 try using incorrect ftp ports?
Rad

Sorry, I can't help because I use Mozilla. I've got IE 5.5 but that's only to use the Windows Update feature.

Can't help on this one I'm afraid. All our company desktops are Windows 2000 SP4 and Internet Explorer 6 with patches applied through Software Update Services. We've not had any speed problems.
The FTP client within IE6 is pretty terrible though. If you do a lot of FTPing I'd definately use a dedicated FTP client instead.
Have you investigated checking the "Use Passive FTP" option in Advanced options within IE6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back